Wondering about Cryo Treatment

I remember reading an article that Kevin Thomas? from Sierra, that he wrote about cryo and barrels. The bottom line was you got more barrel life for more dollars but the cost per shot remained the same.

Has anyone had any experience with CRYOGENIC STRESS RELIEVING of barrels?:confused:

There was a big fuss about it in the 80's when I was actively shooting shotguns (live pigeon competitions)...Some people swore by the treatment and many top shooters were doing it. I had the extra set of
barrels of a Beretta SO EELL done and left the other set without it.

I patterned that shotgun before and after and couldn't tell the difference...It didn't help but it didn't hurt either and I believe that I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.00...

You probably want to do it in a rifle and there I don't have any experience, but if it were something like the "Holly Grail" for something, you would be hearing a lot about it...Maybe contacting the service provider and asking them
to provide you with names and contact info for talking to them about their particular experiences?

Regards,

azuaro

Last edited:
Another way to make money is all!!

It's another way to make money is all and the way I see it!! I believe the old way of stress relieving has worked good for many years?
YBRF! Rambo
(Douglas)

Do not believe for one minute it doesn't work, I have a bunch of barrels say it does. Do what you want and believe what you want, i have proof it works……. jim

I had....

My Rem Fluted barrel 308 done here in Austin for $45 in the late eighties. Made no difference that I could tell. However, we did have some critical steel parts from our lithography tools at Motorola done which did result in greater useful life and better wear characters.

Kinda like bullet molly coating. Some swear by it and some never touch it. But...both types make it to the winner's circle occasionally which gives them both hope. :roll eyes:

virg

Let hear about it Jim?

Do not believe for one minute it doesn't work, I have a bunch of barrels say it does. Do what you want and believe what you want, i have proof it works……. jim
Come on and lets hear about it Jim as I would like to know myself and some of these others would to!!
YBRF! Rambo

I guess we are not going to hear about the results!!

I would like to see the results on cryo testing but I guess this thread died off!! Rambo

I would like to see the results on cryo testing but I guess this thread died off!! Rambo

Let's try to resuscitate this thread...

I am also very interested in hearing about any positive results obtained with the process...As I mentioned, I did a set of over/under barrels and didn't notice any improvement but neutral experience does not speak for
the success/failure of the process.

Rifle barrels are more critical and behave different that shotgun barrels and one set of shotgun barrels are not representative.

So if you are still around Jim, please post your experiences with those barrels you mention.

Thank you,

azuaro

I did post it on an earlier thread, but i used it on my barrels this year. If you check the IBS records page you will see the results with the light gun. The light gun i shot in heavy, i shot it in the aggs. at Harry Jones and it was first in the 10 match group agg., first in 6 match group agg., and first in 6 match score agg. If you you guys don't do it or at least try it's your call but it sure makes things easier for me if you don't. If you decide to try it call Hobie at Kelbly's and he will get you going in the right direction…….. jim

Jim1k I'm with you, it works. Haven't had one done in years because there is no one local that does it. the shipping cost is to much, and these days I'm not sending a rifle though the mail. Things seem to come up missing.

Joe Salt

Joe, just send the barrel. It's in Ohio, not that bad. From my point if you shoot 10 matches it runs 4.00 @ match to have it done,bullets run 30.00 @ match…. I like them close together and in the middle. So if it helps,do it………. jim

Jim never tried bullets, have you tried both ways in a test! I still don't want to mail a rifle though the mail.

Joe Salt

Joe, I was referring to the cost of freezing verses the cost of bullets per match. I ship the barrels with no problem, now Brux sends them to get done at Kathy's and i will pick them up…… All are good people…… jim

Jim: maybe someone will try some bullets, you never know! The last time I had it done I sent the barrel and action all together. If it were someplace I could drive, then I would do it again.

Joe Salt

Back