Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers

Travelor

I have had great success on target and with very low ES's when using these primers in my three 6mmBR rifles. I am using VARGET - 30.2 grains in two guns and VV550 - 31 grains in another. I have found that Federal 205M's are a bit "soft" for these loads. These rifles are F-Class Open guns and we shoot out to 1000 yards using the Berger 105 BT and 107 SMK bullets.

I note in Precision Shooting the the BR guys use only Fed 205M's with VV133 powder and am pretty sure they are loading to high pressures. I'm also pretty sure they are very savvy guys and have tried Russian primers and went back to 205M's.

I have a supply of Wolf Large Rifle and Large Rifle Magnum primers and have not been so pleased. I have had a number of hang fires with the LR primers and IMR 4064 in a Schmidt-Rubin K31 with these - I know not a target gun, but I am the local Match Director for our rifle matches and we are starting a Service Rifle Match this month.

What has been your range results using Wolf primers? Good or bad?

George

I tried Wolf in my Stiller Viper 6ppc. I had quite a few no fires.
Switched back to F205 Match in that gun.
I met another shooter who had the same problem. A good smith fixed that problem with a heavier spring and adjusting the Jewel trigger. I just got my 6ppc and prefer not to mess with it.

The Wolf is a hard thick primer and some custom or weak firing pin actions might not set them off reliably.

They're firing in my Savage action as of yesterday. No problems.
Some advice I read states they should be seated extra hard into the primer cup. Perhaps I failed to do that in my 6ppc???

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the LR and Palma guys are using the Russian Large Rifle primers and claiming better SD's than the others.

On your K31, are you positive that the bolt was fully locked? There is very little camming power in that bolt and if your bullets are seated a bit long or cases not fully sized, the bolt may not fully rotate into lock and the firing pin falling will finish closing the bolt. This takes energy away from the pin and it can cause a hang fire. Make sure that you smartly close the bolt and check that the serial number on the bolt is lined up in the middle where it would be if the bolt was closed on an empty chamber.

Gentlemen the problem with the Russian failure to fire is none other than YOU by not seating the primer correctly. The Russian primers are a bit larger .0003 so one has to seat and then sensitise it by a bit more crush.

Clarence

I have only shot a couple hundred both small and large rifle magnum primers with no failures to date, and they group just as good as the feds. These have been shot with a Panda 6mm ppc, Nesika J 222 Rem, Stock Rem 700 243 AI and a Stock Ruger 77 MK II 223. I am very happy with performance and price.

No blown or pierced primers, but I have only blown a few in 20 years of reloading.

Tony

Back