Wolf Primers

So they they offer two small rifle primers, sr and srm. Is that correct?

German,
Can you comment on the Magtech SR primers. Magtech sells loaded 223 and they only list one SR primer, so can we assume its okay for the full power rounds. Couldn't find any info on cup thickness or hardness. Do you know anything about their performance? Imported from Brazil from what I understand.

Don't knock your layout, you have a well written article.

Thanks, I think that I will just start experimenting with different combination of primers and powder lots. The worst that could happen with all of the shooting required to cover the combinations is that I will learn to read my wind flags.

german.......wolf is the manufacture...as in the wolf ammo.....yes ? as in products made in russia at various plants, but marketed as a "wolf" product.
'FEDERAL STATE UNITARY ENTERPRISE", MUROM APPARATUS PRODUCING PLANT, MADE IN RUSSIA.

wolf makes three small rifle primers, sr, srm and sr/223...specifically for the ar platform.

back when people were praising PMC primers as consistant ........they came from russia...and no longer available....because they are now sold thru/as wolf.

mike in co

I have used the PMC Small Rifle and found them very consistent across the chronograph.
Some guys complained that they were too soft but I never had an issue with them since I don't shoot real hot loads.
I tested them in the 6PPC and the 257TED.
I haven't shot any of those that have been branded Wolf nor the MagTech.
I still have about 1500 left and I am saving them for my next trip to Raton or if I ever make it to the Super Shoot.
Ted

I have always wondered about the PMC small rifle primer.Having tried this primer in the 6PPC at strong middle window loads I got nearly 100% primer cup blankage. I switched to the Wolf small rifle magnum primer and the groups were fine with-0- blanking. Recently revisiting the small rifle PMC primer I tried them in a .30BR shooting a pretty stiff load(34.5 gr H-4198 andBIB 118gr. (10)ogive bullets). I did not blank a primer.These primers are from the same lot# and have been stored the same. Does the 6PPC run at "that" much more pressure than the described .30BR??? I presonally would not hane thought so.

Mike Swartz

Mike
I think we would be shocked at the pressure that some of the Mid range 6PPC
loads are giving.
I don't have any empirical data but other guys who are more knowledgeable than I am have said, they think some of the top loads are around 70,000 PSI.
As an example Hodgdon lists for a 65gr bullet the max for H4198 at 25.5gr which gives a pressure of 50,500 PSI.
But I know guys who load over 30gr of that powder. So the pressure has to be way up there.
All of my 6PPC loads with the standard WOLF primers were within .3 of the Hodgdon Max recommended grains of for 322 and BenchMark and I didn't receive any blanking.
Ted

Wolf= Federal Competitor

I have been shooting them in my PPC after discovering their benefit in the big gun stuff. I had to make some slight adjustments to pin protrusion and also seating pressure. I found that the Russian primers were a little harder to kick off than a Federal; I seat them more firm and have no problems with misfire.

*** I had primer rupture issues with the standard primer; as German already stated...Small Rifle Magnums work well, no joke! If you can get em, try a few, shoot some groups, compare with what you already know and decide.

Wolf Small Rifle

I have a case of the standard Small Rifle primers and they are very good. No problems with blanking with my Bat and Borden actions both in 6mm Dasher.
Now if I could get a handle on that loose primer pocket thing........:D

Back