Wolf Primers

HovisKM

NRA Life Member
If I remember....the long range community has done the most experimenting with Russian/Wolf primers. Are they any good...if so, which large and small rifle type should I get.

thanks
Hovis

Hovis,

I've been using Russian large rifle dirty primers (PMC brand) for maybe 4 years now in my .308s with good results. The only reservation I have is that they are even more finicky to seat than Federals. I guess that this could be because they have the Euro-style domed cups rather than the defined corners of most primers & probably have a tendency to cup out when a bit of seating pressure is applied.

It doesn't matter at the moment because, as a result of a bit of arthritis in the thumbs, I'm seating primers with the K & M dial seater to ensure some uniformity with the outcome.

As they say, as long as you're still breathing.....

John

I have some of the originals (prior to PMC) in large rifle. They seem to be a bit larger dia than Win and Fed. because they require more force to seat them. They give better SD and ES numbers than other brands in anything I have tried them in thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question on the PMC primers. Most of my PMC SRM primers have red coloured primng compound, while the last batch I bought had yellow priming compound. Does anyone know if someone has just put different primers in the PMC box as I bought them at a gunshow, or are some of the small rifle magnum primers realy yellow?

Back