Wire Welders

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Any consensus on the best all around wire welder for general gunsmithing? Tig, Mig, size, amps output, Brand etc ?

A short arc welding process(SMAW/Stick & GMAW/MIG) is not the best processes for doing small precision welding as the stick/wire carries the welding current that produces a short arc/spatter.

The GTAW/TIG or HeliArc process is not a short arc process as the filler rod is fed by hand or automated & does not carry any welding current so no spatter is present.

A SMAW(STICK) & GTAW(TIG) power source w/Hi Frequency is a constant current CC power source of AC,DCSP Straight,DCRP Reverse Polarity with the TIG phase having Hi Frequency to START the arc in DC welding & stabilize the arc in AC welding.
A GMAW(MIG-metalic inert gas)power source is a constant voltage CV power source of DC Reverse Polarity(switch leads for DCSP).
Duty cycle is important-the more duty cycle the more expensive the power source,the more work that gets accomplished.
Example-
A 20% duty cycle 110V $400 dollar MIG welder allows you to WELD 2 minutes out of 10 minutes.

I just upgraded 10 months ago to a dedicated INVERTER 150 amp DC Hi Freq TIG power source just to weld gun parts & gun parts ONLY.

The 750amp AC,DCSP,DCRP,Hi Freq,CC,CV 100% duty cycle power source handles the rest.

The plasma cutter slices through material that conducts current like a hot knife through butter.

To remove weld beads or V cracks in structural materials the Carbon Arc ACA is like reverse stick welding with air to blow the molten puddle away & saves hours of grinding.

Just a few highlights to ponder!!!

Purchase Miller or Hobart welders that are made in the USA!!!

I am a welder and I own an HTP GTAW that is made in the USA and it has higher output than most of the competition. It is an inverter style uses less input power also. I think that for a gunsmith a GTAW (tig) would be the choice for controlling the heat input since you work with such exacting tolerances. This is the link to the welder that I have purchased.

http://www.htpweld.com/products/tig_welders/tig201.html

For doing gunsmithing work that requires welding a TIG welder would be most appropriate but it also requires the most skill/training to use. Depending on your current welding experience it could be a huge learning curve.

James

hopefullbender,
Lift Arc is a pain 99.9% of the time.
TIG welding Alum/Magnesium with 2% thoriated pointed tungsten will render more tungsten percipitation than ever desired.(tungsten & alum/mag don't mix well)

adamsgt,
If you can fly a helicopter- you can TIG weld- with an idol foot unless you're running the variable speed turn table also.

Mig or Tig

I am a trained Welder but not a gunsmith by any stretch. Only thing that would bother me is the TIG is somewhat slower so there would be more heat absorbed by the subject. When welding sheet metal such as car sheet metal
most people use MIG to avoid heat related distortion. :confused:

Tig, Mig, and Gas welding

For Gunsmithing Gas welding and Tig are the only ways to go.

Dan has explianed Tig pretty well.

Mig is for 1/8 inch or thicker metal, except sheet mental welding.

For aluminum you have to use a spool gun and again the material needs to be 1/8 inch or thicker. Either direct welds or spray arc.

Gas welding is a whole other story in itself. One can braze, silver soldier, or weld with a filler.

Advantage cheaper than a tig machine.

Disadvantage lots of heat.

The mig welder in the hands of a nvice iis referred to as an electric manure spreader.

Rustystud

adamsgt,
If you can fly a helicopter- you can TIG weld- with an idol foot unless you're running the variable speed turn table also.

Never flew a chopper but I did fly an FB-111A for a while. That probably didn't take near as much coordination as flying a helicopter.

I have a gas outfit and some experience with it although not lately. Just trying to get educated on wire welders in case a good deal comes up on craigslist. I did use a wire welder to fill in a cavity on a falling block action and it came out well. That was twenty five years ago though. Don't mind a learning curve as I'm in my second retirement now and having lots of fun with the lathe and mill I recently acquired. :D

crb,
pretty much so-
I've oxy acetylene welded quite a few CrMo pieces of tubing for practice coupons just to regress to the old school ways.
I like the instant arc-puddle of the TIG process over the heat of oxy-acetylene welding.
When welding cast iron oxy-acetylene takes center stage.

Fb-111a

Never flew a chopper but I did fly an FB-111A for a while. :D

Does Takhli RTAFB ring any bells here? Harvest Reaper? Combat Lancer? circa 1968?

F-111A-SEA.jpg

wc

Wad Cutter,
'68 was a few years before my time.
I did Thai in '75.
I've rigged/jacked & cleared afew inflights on the FB111's also.
Have 14yrs on heavies-52's,135's,141's,C-5's,130's.

Does Takhli RTAFB ring any bells here? Harvest Reaper? Combat Lancer? circa 1968?

F-111A-SEA.jpg

wc

Oh Yeah. However, I didn't start flying FB-111's until 1971. I( spent 68, 69 and part of 70 in Arclight, dropping bombs out of B-52D's out of Utapao, Kadena and Anderson.

The FB-111 had a seven feet wider wingspan than the F-111, you can see it here.

Action11.jpg

Tig

I'm not a gunsmith and I don't play one in the movies but I would think the Tig process would be the best for gun repairs. Actually less heat to the work piece because the heat is so focused. It does take a little (meaning a lot) of practice but it offers the best control of all the weld processes.
The newer inverter units are a joy to use. I have tig, stick and mig as well as plasma cutter here. My favorite brand is blue.

tjj,
The inverter machines are awesome in alot of ways.
I like the Big Blue products,The syncro-waves are nice-
but the sweetest TIG machine that I've operated in 20yrs is a Hobart Cyber TIG w/ pulse,spot,stud welding capabilities.
No other power source has the adjustment ranges of a Cyber TIG.
Micro Tig can be accomplished with a Cyber Tig power source.
The Cyber Tig has several removable works in a drawer units for different operations to include alum spot,stud welding etc.

Tig

I am interested in a TIG for stainless, aluminum, and steel. I am fairly adept at gas welding with small tips and small parts but have not used a TIG. I can also arc weld but I am better with the torch. :) What do I look for in a welder? I see Grizzly has these two.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/220V-Tig-Pulse-Welder/H8153
h8153.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/products/220V-Tig-AC-DC-Welder/H8154
h8154.jpg

I won't be using it much, a few bolt handles, and maybe an aluminum stock like the one Gene Beggs built but welded together instead of bolts. I hate to spend 2 grand with the tanks etc., for a limited amount of use, always wanted one, so I guess the question is will the smaller TIG do what I want it to? All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

wc

Look for a used -made in USA- set up.

Plan b. Have a 'name' guy weld your bolt handles on. It's much more cost effective.

The last word on Mig for gun work. You CANNOT get down to the root of a tiny joint with Mig. I used to do roll cages and general fab for SCCA cars, drag cars, oval track cars, etc. Mig is ideal for this type of work where you are doing a lot of welds and a lot of out of position welds. For working with precision stuff it is not really suitable.

wac cutter,
Griz H8154 AC/DC unit-
160A of AC Hi Freq @ 35% duty cycle won't get you very far.
Pri power feed/amp draw is excessive compared to a Miller XMT unit.
AC Hi Freq TIG welding Aluminum & Magnesium-
300 amps power source limits you to 1/4" & thinner material unless you boost the process & cover weld with helium shielding gas(45cfh) that requires 3X the gas flow as argon(17cfh).
HW20 series is a nice water cooled torch as compared to the 17 series air cooled torch pictured.
A 9 series(125amp) air cooled torch is equiv to & uses the same collets as a 20 series(300amp) water cooled torch.
I use Weldcraft water cooled torches ONLY.
ConnellyKleppin torches-air or water cooled will fail-I don't like CK's as they transfer too much heat to the operator compared to a Weldcraft air/water cooled torch.

Thanks for all the info... I can see how much I need to learn about the process of making a TIG weld... $600 per bolt handle does seem a little expensive...

:)

wc

Back