Wipe out liquid bore cleaner ?

M

miele

Hey Guys-
I have been seeing some guys cleaning with Wipe Out (official name-Sharp shoot R Patch Out )liquid bore cleaner
not the aeresol in the can but a liquid that you patch on and then patch out.I asked those shooters and their comments were
"seems to work good" ,not a real testimony :confused:
I have used the wipe out aeresol in the past and it still left copper ,
some carbon and took to long to work.
Has anyone used the liquid version of this product ??
Thanks
John

Last edited by a moderator:
John,
I've been using the foam Wipe Out for several years with positive results. I rarely use anything else anymore. I would suggest you get some Accelerator to go with it. The Accelerator will speed things up quite a bit. I use the combination after a VFS match of about 130 rounds. The application will clean things up in about 1/2 hour. Second application isn't necessary in a custom barrel. With factory barrels, like a Savage for example, a heavily coppered barrel might take two applications.

Lately, I've been trying Patch Out w/Accelerator and it seems to work just as well, but isn't as messy as the foam. I'll be giving it a thorough trial in a few weeks in SD. I'll give a report after that.

Rick

wipe out

One thing you may try is do some cleaning with Butch's ,S/C or whatever to get a lot of the powder fouling out so the copper is exposed,and i leave it in the barrel for 12 to 24 hr.Course that won't work if you need to shoot in a short time.

Wipe out works GREAT!!!! I let it set for 24hrs clean it out then follow up with butch's then some bore conditioner. Buy some and put it in a rifle you think is clean and swab it out in 24 hrs and see what comes out.

I've been using the liquid form, Patch-Out, for about 14 months now and prefer it to the foam. They also sell Carb-Out which used before both the Accelerator and Patch-Out helps to both speed up the copper removal and reduce the amount of both products needed.

Tried "Patch-Out" which they claim removes molly, in a rifle that has had nothing but mollied bullets fired thru it since new, didn't do a thing!

Tom

For moly in the barrel, I soak Kroil overnight, followed by Patch Out.

I haven't tried removing moly from a barrel with Patch Out, but I've done several with Wipe Out. It usually take about 3 applications to get it all, but my experience has been that it does come clean.

I should have an opportunity to try Patch Out with a moly barrel after an upcoming trip to SD. I will use Accelerator with patch Out and report on what happens. I expect it to do just fine.

Rick

Fred or anyone else-

why do you prefer to use the foam ??? Is it more effective,easy to
use??
Does the patch out work any better than the foam ??

I will try the foam again that I had purchased last year and was
not impressed but I am willing to try it again;)
Thanks
John

After wasting almost a whole can of foam because it went everywhere, I tried a second can with different tubes. After giving up on the second can of foam for the same reason, I went to Patch Out with the accelerator and haven't looked back. That is the only way to go in my opinion.

Same deal for me..
Spent more time cleaning out the foam from every nook & cranny than it was worth.

For you guys having problems with foam, apply foam from the muzzle end. The funnel type end will actually almost seal on the od of the barrel. Insert a shooters swab into the chamber. It will seal the chamber end with no foam entering the receiver. Give it a one second burst and when it starts seeping around the funnel on the can, remove the can. Yes, some will come out the muzzle then but not much and I have a tray to catch the little overspill there is. I set the rifle at a slight angle and as it drips out of the barrel overnite, it lands in the tray.

Well I gave the foam another shot:rolleyes:
First I cleaned the barrel with butches lightly then patched out and
squirted the Wipe out from the bore guard into the breech . After
soaking all night I swabbed the bore and I thought I hit pay dirt.
Deciding to finish off with butches and what do I see - cooper streaks :eek:
Now I didn't use accellerator so maybe that was it.
Last night I ordered Patch out and the accellerator,probably will work
better :D:D
Later
John

John,

I'm an old timer and sort of comfortable with patching so I have a basic preference for the Patch-Out. It also appears to me that when I do a three step process with Carb-Out, Accelerator, and the Patch-Out I get better results faster. The key to thes cleaners is patience. The Carb-Out needs about a 20-30 minute soak. Patch-Out or Wipe-Out need soak time proportional to the amount of copper build up, 8-12 hours alone or 5-9 hours if Accelerator is used first. For a neglected barrel, it may be necessary to do the three step process twice and use the longer soak times.

For my custom barrels that are lapped, the three step process will work with very short soak times if done with the barrel still warm (10 miinutes for the Carb-Out and 20 minutes for the Patch-Out). This is also true for the Wipe-Out foam but I don't use that at the range since the Patch-Out liquid became available.

The Wipe-Out foam can be useful for very badly copper fouled barrels. I do the Carb-Out (30 minute soak), Accelerator, then put in chamber plug, foam from the crown end, leave it soak for 12 hours (crown down slightly) and then dry patch out. I turn the rifle over 180 degrees and repeat the entire process. Turning the barrel over is important to get cleaner soak time on the top side groves particularly toward the muzzle.

Developing effective cleaning techniques and measuring the results is one of the most important reasons to have a borescope or at least access to one.

Tried the foam and it made a mess, then when that got sorted, took forever. Also, required multiple sessions ie days of soak and clean. Gave up!.

For factory barrels, I will use Barnes CR10. Works fast and easy but I use it at the range only due to high stink factor. Some shy away from ammonia but I have yet to see any problems in my barrels both factory and custom.

The best commercial product I have found.

However, to save costs, I use any powder solvent. Right now it is kleenbore but have used hoppes, GM top engine cleaner. Anything to break the soot out.

Then I use janitorial grade ammonia - found at industrial cleaning supply stores. A few patches of this and any copper is coming out. Dirt cheap and there is no waiting. you wipe it in and wipe it out. You do not leave this stuff in your bore!

I can clean a heavily fouled bore in about 5 minutes.

I have used most bore cleaners and have yet to find one that didn't leave copper behind (except Barnes and JB) in my factory pipes. Even Sweets wasn't fast enough. Of course, it isn't really necessary to get it all out but if I want squeaky clean or have no time to wait which is everytime, the strong ammonia solvents work for me.

Jerry

Interesting- Mysticplayer
When I examined the bore after wipe out one side was clean as a
whistle while the other side had copper ;)
Rotating the barrel ,I think, will cure the problem :D
This is a Benchmark barrel which I have been breaking in and now
I clean every 20 rounds with very little copper,however the other day
I forgot my bore guide and decided to keep on shooting some test
rounds until the weather got sour .The total round count had to be
at least over 75 shots of fairly hot 308 reloads:eek:
This baby will really test bore solvents and cleaners.
Later
John

You've just hit on one of my other concerns. What happens when the bubbles 'condense'?

You get 1/2 a barrel in solvent.

Not exactly what I want and putting a rifle into a rotesserie just sounds silly.

A tight wet patch works....

Jerry

For copper removal I use Patch Out exclusively now.

As others have said, the carbon must be loosened up first. A couple of patches of Shooters Choice with 30% Kroil added is what I use. A few strokes with a bronze brush and clean it out till dry. The carbon need not be 100% fully removed just loosened and patched out.

Then I run a nylon brush out the muzzle. Squirt some activator on it and brush ten times or so. Run it out the muzzle again and squirt the Patch Out on it.
Brush another ten or fifteen. Eventually it will begin to froth almost like the foam.
Keep repeating this alternating pattern and your bore can be cleaned up quickly if need be.
Usually after it froths I just let it sit an hour and do the work itself but if I want it cleaned immediately I just alternate between the two while brushing.
If its a particularly heavy fouled barrel occasionally I'll patch it out and start the procedure over with fresh chemicals.

If your running moly or a dirty powder it wouldn't hurt to hit it with a bronze brush and solvent again at this time just to make sure.
Works great for me.

Give this formula a try. I'll bet it will clean dang near any barrel. Mix it 50/50 and put it in some squeezable spouted top bottles to squirt on your brush and patches. I swear by this stuff.

highresimage2.jpg

highresimage3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilbur,

It would be nice if you could post a picture with the img tags here. I find it rather strange that you can in the other forums here. :confused:

Back