Winter project

K

katokoch

Well, the project may have started back in August when I bought the lumber, but I just finished it up yesterday and figured I'd share it with everyone here. I've already put up photos and details on a couple other forums so if you're re-reading this, sorry.

Back in August I laminated together some black walnut and carbon fiber fabric with the intent of cutting out and finishing a benchrest stock for my rifle over my winter break from school.

The barreled action is a Marlin 980S with a Green Mountain 20" barrel. I've replaced the stock trigger with a Rifle Basix that I tuned down to get the pull to an even 16 oz. I completely know this is not the ideal setup for serious benchrest competition, but I'll use what I have. The scope is a 1993 Japanese-manufactured Tasco World Class Plus 36x that I picked up NIB for a steal. The glass is much better than you'd think, considering it's a Tasco.

Anyways, the stock is four peices of 3/4" walnut laminated with 12.3-oz. bi-directional carbon fiber fabric. I also lined the barrel channel with CF. The CF made it a bear to cut out with power tools and did quite a bit of damage.

Anyways, the action is bedded with a solid aluminum bedding block with integral pillars. I don't think there's any better solution for the simple Marlin receiver without testing out a barrel clamp.

Here's a few photos from the progression and then the final product.

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

DSCN1193.jpg

DSCN1189-Copy.jpg

DSCN1219.jpg

DSCN1540.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

DSCN1624.jpg

(for scale, with the proud owner)
DSCN1608.jpg

The stock's fore-end is 3" wide and toe is 1", so it is completely legal.
As photographed, it weighs about 9 lbs., so I should be able to use my "budget" tuner and keep it within the 10.5-lb. class for IR 50/50.

Anyways, I'll be getting some new front and rear bags to replace the poor excuses you see photographed and get some shooting done.

looks like a nice job, congratulations good luck at the matchs,
i'm sure we'll be seeing more from you. tom

Man, you did that with hand tools (look out Stith)? I'm very impressed, can you post a pic of the bedding block? Thanks, Douglas

Great looking stock. In 2nd photo, did you cut that groove for barrel or did you laminate with the center boards lower?

Thanks,
Regis

There is no greater satisfaction than building something that works, with your own two hands. Great job!

Great looking stock. In 2nd photo, did you cut that groove for barrel or did you laminate with the center boards lower?

Thanks,
Regis

Whenever I start a stock from scratch for this rifle (this isn't my first), I realized that I could completely cut out the barrel channel and do the majority of the inletting by running a blank with flat and square edges over a router table with a 1" round bit. So, the channel was cut.

I can put up photos of the bedding block later. I wish I could have snapped some photos of it, but I was in a real rush to get it bedded.

Before any inletting, the bare stock weighed 3 lbs. exactly. I think you can safely add a few ounces to that now. It's not exactly a lightweight stock, but it is extremely stiff.

Very nice job! I just built a BR stock for my Airgun, so I've got a pretty good idea of how much satisfaction you get out of completing a project like that.
Todd

Great Looking Stock!!!

Where did you learn how to make your own rifle stock? Do you know any good websites that could get me some good info on getting started?

I'm impressed.

Don Stith might be calling you for pointers. :D

Just kidding Don.

R U kidding me

tha is a pic of your grandson, folks do not get that knowledge and talent until they are 50,

all kidding saide make a few to sell you got talent,

I notice the trend to taller sides rather than a triangle as in the past,

GOOD STUFF, what rifle was that

jeff

For those who want to know what the bedding block is like, here's a crude drawing

beddingblock.jpg

It's just a peice of aluminum 5/8" thick that runs along the underside of the action and has two integral pillars. The Marlin reciever is a pain to bed because the rear action screw is 3/64" from the trigger housing. So, I designed the block to fit over it. I also had the magazine guide screw hole opened and tapped for a new action screw when I re-barreled the rifle (and had the same done for the rear screw), because the Marlin rifles originally have a lug dovetailed into the barrel for a front screw.

Both screws are 1/4x20... I'd rather have a thicker screw than not, and I can simply pick up new ones at a hardware store for 9 cents apeice and cut them to fit.

The Marlin action obviously wasn't designed for benchrest shooting... I just figured bedding it with a block would make the bedding a little more rigid. Can't hurt, and it made it a ton easier to bed. I wanted everything to be "connected" to the bedding with this stock, so when I lined the barrel channel with carbon fiber, I extended it about halfway into where the reciever sits, and the bedding block goes about 1" under the barrel. I bedded it with Devcon from the tang to about 2" of the barrel to lock it together.

Oh, and here's the tuner. http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58278

Sadly, I'm back on campus for school and can't do any work. However, you can use your imagination and think of what I'm going to do with a double major in Marketing and Entrepreneurial Management from the U of M. Once I'm out of school and have some $, I may produce a stock or two (if I'm ever around a stock duplicator, there's going to be some stockmaking shenanigans for sure). While it may be a tool killer, I'd love to do some more work with carbon fiber and a balsa/CF stock with a flashy design may come soon.

You know as well as me how I got the "skills" you talk about. I really don't think stockmaking is very difficult, it just takes time and some imagination. If you have a rasp, some heavy sandpaper, a sharp carving knife, and some good tunes (I listened to alot of Rolling Stones when I did this one), you can do anything. I guess I have patience and some spare time. The hardest part for me is trying to visualize a complete stock in a big blank, and then imagining what cuts I need to make to get the stock out. I can't help but look at big walnut trees and see stocks in them, just hiding and waiting for me to help get them out.

I do appreciate the compliments. If anyone is going to be shooting at Gopher Campfire in Minnesota this summer, you'll see the rifle for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pictures do not do that stock justice. I've seen it and it is much better looking in person. Probably the flash/lighting. It is also VERY professional looking. This kid (can I call him Kid? - I'm in my 40's) did a phenominal job on that stock. I could not imagine what he could do with some serious woodworking equipment. When he brought it over he wanted to check out my new Cooper. He kept drooling over the Cooper but I could not take my eye off his stock. Really, Really nice work.

Condradulations Eric and keep up the good work!

RG

Back