wind shooting

More from dat guy in da U.P.

Carp:
In answer to your original question. I like shooting in the wind. I use a Biggs wind probe and one Carbon River wind flag, with the magnitic bearings. The Probe is up close and the flag is half way to the target. I depend on the probe and only watch the flag for a change that does not agree with the probe. Never could read more than two flags at a time. Or, maybe I should say I never wanted to try to learn to read more than two flags.

A lot of our "experienced" shooters here want to practice in the evening when the wind is down. Always testing ammo. Some of them just will not even try to keep their off eye open so they can see the flags. For them I suggest just looking at the flags with both eyes open, after lining up the crosshairs on the target. It works. Ya just have to believe it works. With light sporters or round bottom stocks, no.

Don:
I think one of the reasons we get good turnouts at our club, is because several years ago our club treasurer convinced me that we should not give out trophies or plaques to the winners. His logic went: Just a few of us take home all the awards. The majority of the shooters go home with nothing. I had to agree with him. He and I had lots of awards that were just dust collectors.

So, we decided to give the match winners bragging rights. AND we started giving out shooting related prizes by "luck-of-the-draw". Works for us.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the gas problem . . .

We are at the north end of I-75 up here. But, the cost of gas has little effect on our match attendance. Of the 34 shooters who came to our match last Sunday, 24 of them live right here in Chippewa County.

7 came UP from Lower Michigan. 1 came in from Wisconsin. 1 lives at the west end of the Upper Peninsula and 1 shooter drove up from Texas.

Joe:

Sounds to me like you have a good thing going. It is everyones right to attend matches they want to attend and every match director's right to shoot whatever matches he wants to put on. With your attendance records, I am sure that your matches are a lot more interesting with the amount of shooters you have and your club is not losing any money.. And, I do believe what is chaffing a lot of people, are your matche's sucess in drawing shooters to your range.

So, Mr. Frosty, carry on and don't look back..

Oh, and Carp, you called Mr Frosty out, but I did not see if you are planning to attend the Cadillac Tournament, are you ??

Dave

On attendance...

There is the post under participation with much the same discussion going on and just read Dave S's last post here. Dave, I looked at a map program and your local club is about 3 hours from my home at Barefoot Bay, Florida. That is just North of Sebastian. I will try and get there for a shoot or two.

Do they shoot in the wind................

Hi James
I'm not Carp but i can partially answer your question as to whether any of those guys shoot in the wind?
I can say that Joe Besche and Roger Brock never backed away from wind shooting in thier lives! When they go to a match they go to shoot! Those 2 don't care, i've seen em both shoot many times when we were aiming over 2" off the bull. Most of the rest i don't know about. I have heard there "might" be some gamesmen in ARA.:D
Colt.45

Dave S
I jsut returned from Livonia, IN (3 hours shooting their club tournament). I have no plans to go to Cadillac actually. I spent last weekend shooting a double tournament in Holton MI. On the 20th of September I have my nieces wedding at Vevay, IN on the Ohio River at 2:00pm. Hope I can leave to get to Livonia by match time. But I would love to be in Cadillac that day. I told Mike Worthington that at Holton. They have struggled terribly for attendance this year. You'd think the local guys would support them if Joe's place is closer to them than for me to go the Holton.

Carp

James and Colt 45,
I can say from experience with only one of those shooters (wish I could from the rest), that Joe Besche shoots in what the Lord gives him. You definately don't win an A-Line by not doing so. I assume that anyone who has ever won A-line did so because of the number of targets and events that they had to go to to win.

Carp

Dave????

Joe:

Sounds to me like you have a good thing going. It is everyones right to attend matches they want to attend and every match director's right to shoot whatever matches he wants to put on. With your attendance records, I am sure that your matches are a lot more interesting with the amount of shooters you have and your club is not losing any money.. And, I do believe what is chaffing a lot of people, are your matche's sucess in drawing shooters to your range.

So, Mr. Frosty, carry on and don't look back..

Oh, and Carp, you called Mr Frosty out, but I did not see if you are planning to attend the Cadillac Tournament, are you ??

Dave

Dave, why would anyone be chaffed because Joes matches are a sucess? On the contrary, I think every one is impressed by the number of shooters that shoot in his matches. I just wonder why Joe keeps wanting to change my game into his game. I don't want to shoot 25 yards just to get more shooters.

Back