Wind Flag Question

Thanks for posting that Boyd. This is very close.
background-image-circles-bubbles-sponge-soap-seamless-tileable-ironside-grey-chartreuse-yellow-23834q.png

That is one of the colors that I have on my flags. The other color is a fluorescent orange. That is the one that I am having trouble with. I can't see it past about 80 yards unless the sun is shining directly on it. A few clouds or shade makes the flags disappear. (did I mention that my vision sucks?) The pink/magenta/fuchsia or whatever color they were that I saw in St Louis were very visible to me. That is the color I am looking for.

Like boyd showed there just take your new ezell flags to a vynyl letter/sign shop in your area and theyll have a whole wall of vynyl to choose from

Mike Ratigan uses a fluorescent pink vs white vane on his flags. I talked to him about it once, and he cited some research into how our eyes work and which colors are most visible and provide the maximum contrast with the grass/berms/background. I've shot over them and you can see them very well, but even so, I'd rather shoot over a full field of 'normal' green/orange flags than have my line be different. Reversing the colors is an obnoxious thing -- I shot over a reversed set at the PHX Nats several years ago and it can mess you up.

One big problem with the green/orange combination is that it corresponds to the most common flavor of male-pattern color blindness. I know a couple shooters who see both sides as identical shades of gray. For them a Black/Yellow is usually a better bet. If the green/orange combination is giving you trouble, that might be part of the issue.

Rod

Earl, I'd be happy to change colors on your flags, if it helps. I'm not sure yet whose flags you have, but if they are mine, the vane is simple to change. The pinwheel is a little more difficult but I can do it.

I never realized how many people suffered from some type and level of color blindness until I started making flags. Some people simply have trouble distinguishing certain colors. Actually, reds and greens are very common problem colors for some people. You are the first that I've had to say that they had trouble with the chartreuse...but I don't doubt it at all. I've made several pink/green flags for people. That's what Gene Buckys and Tony Harper have. Both are premier shooters in their disciplines. I've also made several chartreuse/black and some red/white flags, as well as a few other combinations. Sometimes we can throw the research out the window as to what colors are seen best by individuals.

Let me know if I can be of help. Boyds post with all the different colors may help you determine what works the best for you. I do agree with what Larry was saying about watching all the flags on the range, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to.

I have a bunch of Smiley's flags and even some of Wilbur's (I believe - triangular, made from coroplast) I have painted them every color imaginable. Some colors better than others, some colors are completely invisible to me. Some colors work good in the morning and are invisible to me in the afternoon. The fluorescent yellow/chartreuse works all the way to 200 yards most all of the time. The original question was "what was the color of the flags that I saw in st louis." I will get some of the pink stuff and test it. Thanks for all of the input.

Earl

I have a bunch of Smiley's flags and even some of Wilbur's (I believe - triangular, made from coroplast) I have painted them every color imaginable. Some colors better than others, some colors are completely invisible to me. Some colors work good in the morning and are invisible to me in the afternoon. The fluorescent yellow/chartreuse works all the way to 200 yards most all of the time. The original question was "what was the color of the flags that I saw in st louis." I will get some of the pink stuff and test it. Thanks for all of the input.

Earl

Ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were having trouble seeing the chartreuse. As I said, I've done several chartreuse/black. They seem to show up well and were done for folks that had trouble seeing reds. Whatever you think works best...I'm happy to help.

According to the data in the Wikipedia the colors that would always work should be blue and white. Interesting,:cool: and winter isn't even here...Lots of time to go nuts.
Larry

I have some flo blue and white ones. Painted the orange side of some orange and white smileys i had. They look great but stand alone in a field of flags. I prefer the orange and white or green only for that reason.

Although I am not color blind, I can vouch for Mike Ezell's flags being VERY visible. James

Attachments

• March , Ezell WF 008.jpg
    March , Ezell WF 008.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 211
St. Louis Flags

The flags were FLUO-RED-Fushia and FLUO GREEN that in my opinion stand out better than the usual red/orange of Smiley's flags. They are made in coroplast with a vinyl film applied to it.

The flags were FLUO-RED-Fushia and FLUO GREEN that in my opinion stand out better than the usual red/orange of Smiley's flags. They are made in coroplast with a vinyl film applied to it.

Thank you!

I am not color blind, my vision is just very poor. Those flags in St Louis just jumped out at me. I will get some of that vinyl and do some testing.

Earl

Back