Wind doping / hold-off, also compare cal. and fpe hold-off. ( 25m World target )

D

Dwight C

I realize these are subjective questions. But, I will try to make them very specific. I would really appreciate very specific answers,relative to conditions in questions.

In the past yr I have made an intense, methodical effort to develop a reasonable level of confidence in playing the wind. I have achieved some satisfaction.
But, one specific condition continues to bewilder, and confuse me.

This is it:
A 10-12 mph wind predominately from 12:00 directly in your face, but switching back and forth from 11:00 - 1:00.
I can't seem to get consistent results.

1st-? - With a LV set-up, how or, precisely, where would you hold.

2nd-? - With a Open class .22 / 28fpe, same ?

Also, more generally in a given condition, how much less do you hold off with the Open class rifle above, than with the LV rifle?

Please Note, these ?s relevant only to 25m, World target.

Thanks a lot,
Later, Dwight

Open class, .22 caliber, 30 FPE. Hold at 12:00, at very edge of 10 ring. My barrel typically shows a small downward POI with 10-15 mph conditions in my face. Might need some adjustment for your switching. The sighters are your best indicator in this case.

Also, there are times when there is a small upward POI when heavier conditions are in my face, no explanation. Again, sighters help. Pellets do not always move like rimfire or centerfire bullets.

I think you will find that when you travel to different venues what works for a condition in your backyard may not be the same at the shoot. I feel the best approach is to shoot plenty of sighters and gauge the current conditions. If you find an unpredictable condition try not shoot during it.
Dan

Shooting in a wind that is predominately coming from 12:00 (or 6:00) has been the most difficult for me to get to grips with. I, like most shooters, will zero for the predominant condition, which includes not only the direction but an estimate of the wind strength, this being determined by the angle of the flag tails.

Gauging the direction (11, 12, 1:00 etc) is not so much of a problem, gauging the speed most certainly is (at least for me). It’s often not possible to get a clear view of the tails when they are blowing either directly at or directly away from you, spinners and the poles themselves obstruct your view as well as possibly other flags, depending on how many you use and how you have them set out.

Quite often I’ve totally ignored my own flags and used others set out on the next lane or even two lanes away if I feel they are giving me better information.

You’ll never master it, but practice, shoot in as many competitions as you can and one day you may become proficient at shooting in this condition, when that day comes for me I’ll let you know :D

Brian

Dwight,

My problem is, out of my two air and two rimfire guns, I find the hold for 12:00 to all be different. With one of my rim fires, as long as all the flags are showing the exact same condition it's hold dead nuts on, with the other it's hold at least one ring low at 6:00 and let the bullet climb into the wind. With my 12fpe gun, it's as Steven said and hold off at the right-hand outer edge of the 10 ring (or maybe even a little further) and high by about the same, but with the 20fpe gun it's the same as with the rimfire where I'll need to hold low at 6:00 and let the pellet climb. This is the reason why we always say to practice, practice, practice, if for no other reason than to learn what your gun wants as there is never a cut-and-dry answer to a question like this.

Dave

Back