Winchester Model 75

A

Alan Schenck

Is this model a worthwhile target rifle? I just ran into one for $495 that is in excellent shape. the blueing is about 95% but the wood has a few nicks in it. It has a Lyman 58E rear sight and a Redfield globe front sight. Can this rifle be competitive in Rimfire benchrest? Should I pass on it and look for something else? Thanks. Al.

I have two I enjoy but they were target rifles for the masses back in the 60's. It is not in the same league with an Anschutz, 40X, or 52. Could you get it to shoot? Maybe, some folks get 10-22's to shoot. But you would need to replace the barrel, square the action, lap the bolt, replace the trigger, bed the stock, and then having spent all that money would still not have a 40X. If you are serious, a used BR rifle might be the place to start.

Mark Snider

Winchester M75

The M75 Winchester played second fiddle to the M52 back in the day. Its action was not nearly as good as the M52 and did not have the same accuracy potential. The M75 will not be competitive today with any of the benchrest actions now in use. Nevertheless, some M75s are very accurate old rifles--at less than $500, buy one and shoot it for fun and nostalgia. If you like blued steel and walnut a M75 is great to admire. They are lighter and less bulky than a M52. If you like to hunt, try shooting some squirrels with a M75. One problem--the M75 trigger is pretty crude.

Ditto on that. I've got one in the safe. It wouldn't be a bad training rifle for your kids or grandkids.

Back