winchester model 70 action

K

kstockfo

i've been searching a little on the forum, but don't see much information on whether or not the model 70 is easily "trued", or "blueprinted". (please correct my terminology.) i hear about doing things like trueing the bolt face, polishing the lugs, and polishing the bolt raceway, etc, on rem 700's, but i don't see much mention of this kind of work on a model 70. is the model 70 capable of equivalent accuracy? or is it pointless to do these things?

the reason i'm asking is that i'm considering a model 70 action & trigger from cdnn for $350 and having a deer rifle built with it (something along the lines of a 243, 260, 7-08, 308). all opinions are welcome. thanks for the help.
kstockfo

Aside from it having a flat bottom vs. a round action like Remingtons, my trueing process is essentially the same. They are good actions and will make a fine basis for your project. There are pros and cons to just about anything but in some ways I prefer the Winchester to a Remington and visa versa. --Mike Ezell

can someone give me some feedback on my expectations please? if i bought an action (win mod 70 from cdnn, or any other), what am i looking at for the other pieces of a deer-rifle project? here is what i am assuming, please give insights:

hart barrel: $315 + $250 (cut, crown, thread, contour) = $565
trigger job on existing trigger: approx $100
h-s precision stock: $360
grand total (without action, bases, rings, & scope): $1025

am i in the ballpark? or am i overestimating? underestimating?

thanks for the help,kstockfo

also, what would ballpark cost be to "true" or "blueprint" (is there a difference) a win model 70?
thanks,
kstockfo

Well, $100 to work the existing trigger is a little steep - easy to work this trigger with perhaps only a lighter spring rate spring involved - 1/2 hour labor unless pixie dust is involved..

Blueprinting, or trueing are essentially the same thing in gun work. I'm not sure anybody has a blueprint, not even the manufacturers ... For a hunting rifle I'm not sure if the cost of trueing would be worth it, meaning that the 1/4" group gain you (might) see would not be worth the cost of the $300+ you might be charged for this work.

A model 70 is a great candidate for any hunting rifle project, and it can be trued using the proper tools. Anyone competently rebarreling your rifle should take some pains to do part of the "truing" process as part of the job- squaring the action face, checking the bolt face and lugs for squareness, etc.. There may be some extra charge if things are way out of the ordinary. You should be able to make a pretty good deer rifle for the money you indicate.

Scott

Those prices are a little steep,I'd shop around. ......... My Mod 70 Classic is being re-barreled as I type. Gunsmith has 50 year experience and say's Winchester Mod 70s don't deserve the bad rap some people lay on them. I witnexss a guy with a Mod 70 Classic like mine in 7 Mag print a 1/2moa at 100 yds. Can't argue with that ?

You might want to check out the Pac-Nor barrel website, the last time I looked I believe it was right around $500 for a re-barrel which including action truing. I have had a couple of barrels installed by them and they both shoot consistent one-half inch groups at 100yds.

I have been very satisfied with their work and turn-around times.

drover

i have one hart barrel and four kriegers. they are awesome. they are worth it. i would use a remington action. you could do your own trigger by looking up "remington crisp".

i'm betting you can find something like this for sale for less than the parts cost. ( I always sell guns for less than what it cost to have them made... when I want another "project")

Back