Winchester mod 52

R

rolf

I`ve came across one of these lovely guns, made back in 1949 accourding to the serial #. It just says mod 52 noting else about the model.

Now my question is, if`I decide to customize it for BR 22 shooting would I then be put away for life? Is this a gun that you just don`t tamper with or are they that common that it doesn`t matter?
Over here in Sweden they are hardly ever heard of.
What`s your opinion guys, customize or keep it in it`s original shape?

Are they known to be shooters or just an ordinary 22 LR?
Please excuse me if I`m stepping on someones toes, that`s definately not my intention, I just don`t know anything about them.

Kind regards//Rolf

Rolf,
If the serial number is followed by the letter "B" its a model "B". Factory triggers in the "B" are not that good. A good used after market trigger is not only hard to find but cost as much or than the entire rifle. You would be better served with a 52-C, 52-D or E where the factory trigger can be modified or after-market triggers more easily found.
The later models (C,D orE) are a better action for your purpose.

bjm

Rolf...

I`ve came across one of these lovely guns, made back in 1949 accourding to the serial #. It just says mod 52 noting else about the model.

Now my question is, if`I decide to customize it for BR 22 shooting would I then be put away for life? Is this a gun that you just don`t tamper with or are they that common that it doesn`t matter?

Please excuse me if I`m stepping on someones toes, that`s definately not my intention, I just don`t know anything about them.

Kind regards//Rolf

if it's an original B keep it original the value is in the gun not customizing it. The comment about the trigger is true. I have had B's and they are certainly accurate but the B trigger is inferior to a C or D 52 trigger. Kenyon used to make a drop in replacement but they were $375 10 years ago and God knows what today. He is retired so there are no more. Sell it to a collector if in original condition and in good shape or shoot it in vintage .22 matches. If the receiver is drilled and tapped for scope blocks it is not fully original as they were not D and T. They came with barrel mounted Unertl style blocks for use with unertl or lyman long focus scopes of the day. Have fun with it! --Greg

As others have said the B has the least popular trigger but they are adjustable to a degree. If you do decide to shoot it in matches as I have Evolution Gun Works makes a mount that screws in place of the unertal rear mount and allows you to mount a scope without altering the rifle. Good luck and enjoy Winchester made some fine 52's.

Kind regards//Rolf

I guess the rifle in question is the one up for auction on Widforss. I'll be lurking in the shadows...

Fancy meating you here. :)
My gunsafe is already overcrowded, I was mostly curious. Where do you think it will end?

No you`ll go back to Robsoft, and stay there Pelleman. ;)

//Rolf

Fancy meating you here. :)
My gunsafe is already overcrowded, I was mostly curious. Where do you think it will end?

No you`ll go back to Robsoft, and stay there Pelleman. ;)

//Rolf

Naaah. I'm global...

I think it is a toss. Could be cheap or it could be quite expensive. Depends on who's bidding. One must remember that prices on used guns are really cheap in Sweden and the word is starting to spread. The germans have several agents bidding. Personally i'm a bit unsure. I'd like to go as high as to 7-8000kr ($1000) but I'm still not sure. In a few years all lead ammunition will be banned and the value is vasted. Rimfires will eventually be worthless, no matter how much you like them. In Seweden we have two different types of licenses - for hunting (max 6 rifles allowed) and for target. I have my 22lr rifles listed as "target rifles" to save space for my hunting rifles.

Back