Bob Kingsbury

How can you recognize a trigger made by Kenyon. I have a 52C
which was purchased at a hardware store new. It has never been
away from the original owner for any work. The trigger appears
to have hand work on it, typical of non factory. I am told that
Kenyon made some that were installed by Winchester. It is a great
trigger

What on the trigger's stamped

All the triggers I've seen made by KK, had his name on them. A friend called me today asking how to remove the bolt from a similar 52C with a Kenyon trigger. I couldn't tell him, as I've never owned one. A photo might help here.

1zd910n.jpg

Bolt Release

Don:
Your illustration appears to be for a 40X, and not a Winchester 52C. Bolt release is different on a Winchester 52.

Don:
Your illustration appears to be for a 40X, and not a Winchester 52C. Bolt release is different on a Winchester 52.

Supplied the photo to only show the general layout of a Kenyon trigger for Kenyon identification purposes. You are correct, this is not 52c specific.....................Don

Kenyon C or D Trigger

Hi Bob,
Here is a photo of a Kenyon I have had on my 52D. If you look closely at the bottom photo you can see that it is stamped K Kenyon along the bottom edge.
The trigger shoe is a straight brass one that a friend made. It has a slight groove in it where I put a small O-ring to index my finger on.
Jim

Attachments

• Kenyon Trigger.jpg
    Kenyon Trigger.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,799
Last edited by a moderator:
That's waht I needed.

Finn:
Thanks. I get the photo to him tomorrow. He said he just aquired the gun, and it looks like the previous owner, had never cleaned it. He wanted to clean it up , but couldn't get the bolt out. That seems strange, as the photo shows the boly release in plane site. Makes me wonder, as to what trigger is really in the gun.

Hi Fred,
Butch Hingisto has my trigger right now, but if memory serves :eek: you just need to be pull back on the trigger as if you are firing the rifle while pulling down on that bolt release. Getting a good pull on the release can be a tough if there isn't a lot of it extending below the stock. Mine has a notch in it and I can use a loop of mechanic/baling wire to hook into the notch. Then I can pull down on the wire. What I finally did was find some hard nylon tube and drilled it out for a tight push fit onto the bolt release. That gave me a good half inch+ to get my fingers on.
I hope you are doing well Fred and I am still kicking myself for not being able to get with you last summer.
Jim

kenyon trigger

Bob: I have never heard of a kenyon trigger installed from the factory on a 52c. They were a option on the 52D and E internationals. According to Carl-the guns were sent to him and he installed them. I have one on my 52E international that was factory ordered. I'm not saying that it could'nt be possible because winchester would do about anything to please its customers.

Kenyon Triggers

I had read that somewhere, that winchester installed them. I would
think Carl would require some control by installing them himself.

Please guys, its Karl, not Carl. He is still with us so why not call and ask him if he ever put his trigger on a factory sale 52C before customer delivery. Horses mouth is usually the most reliable. Besides both he and his wife are a joy to chat with on the phone. bob finger

I'll second Bob's notion about giving Karl a call. I have only had the pleasure of calling him twice or so, but he is a really great guy and was very gracious and pateince answering my dumb questions. They were true conversations and not just a question and answer session.
Jim

Karl was my Uncle. He recently passed away, his funeral was yesterday in Ely, Nevada. Karl worked out of his shop, which was a converted one car garage. Karl had a contract with Winchester for many years, possibly 45 years or more. He used to hand make his triggers, and would make several trips a week to the post office to mail these to Winchester. Several years ago, Winchester wanted to buy the patent on the Kenyon Trigger. Uncle Karl refused, saying they could not reproduce his quality. They invited him back to their factory. They assembled many of their best gunsmiths. Karl sat down and proceeded to "teach" them. After many sessions, Karl let the Winchester Company decide if their own gunsmiths were up to his standards. They didn't like what their own people produced. Karl kept producing and sending these triggers to Winchester up until just a few years ago. During the services, several people spoke. All had great stories of this man. One was a guy Karl had met, asked Karl what he did for a living. Karl replied that, "You would not believe me." The guy relied, "Try me." Karl answered, "I'm the best gunsmith in the world." Karl hand made most of his screws, springs and levers. Karl had won two national championships, iron sight division. Was awarded the trophies and was noted as the only marksman to ever win by using the rifle he had built himself. I could go on forever about his craftsmanship and attention to detail that he put into everything he did.

RAnderson

Thanks for sharing. I never met Karl but have talked with him a couple of times over the years. He was always very helpful.

If you have any more stories or pictures please feel free to share.

Hal

Hi, I have two .22rimfire rifles with Karl Kenyon triggers, The only reason i know that they are is because his name is printed or stamped on one at the bottom and the other in the mid section, also i don't know if this means anything but they have post triggers instead of the curve ones.

This is the picture of a trigger that was on a winchester model 75T that i just aquired and was wondering if anyone can identify it.
DSCF3042.jpg
DSCF3041.jpg

thanks in advance
Steve

Back