winchester 52d

S

sub quarter

hi guys i have been shooting a long time just got a 52d with ser#105,403 one owner. bought in 1963 new no mods to the gun it has baushch & lomb scope exteral ajustments 6-24 power and the peep sights. what ammo works in the 52d. any info would be good i love the gun it is mint bueing 99% wood has 5 or 6 dings but when i steam them thay will come out have not shot it yet.:)

Test and test some more

Finding an ammo that your 52D likes, is the same as anyone using a custom barrel. You have to try as many different brands and levels you can find. Saddly, many times the best, is no longer availble when you are ready to buy enough to satify your rifles needs.

testing ammo

thank u fred i under stand about testing and rim thickness. did not know if i started with lapua or elly or rws or just buy them all and try them. u guys that shoot winchester or remington and so on know a brand they like. my remington 597 with shilen barrel shoots only lapua l it shoots 1/2" hole 50 yards. allso is the ser# right i have been told its to early for the d but it does have a d after it heavy barrel black rail and triger gard flare on stock goes to the bolt i really like this forum thanks guys.

That's a pretty darn early D you have there. I keep track of serial numbers on D's and E's, and the earliest s/n I have recorded is in the 10530X range. I would be curious to know if it is a standard weight barrel or heavy weight. The standard weight barrels have a muzzle diameter around 3/4" while the more common heavy weight barrels have a diameter of 7/8". For some reason most of the very early guns were standard weight barrel models.
As to your question on ammo. I don't think you can go wrong with some Eley black box, Lapua center X, or even some of the higher range Wolf and SK seem's to do well. My 52's have never been real picky as long as it's good ammo to begin with. Forget the domestic stuff.
Steve

I understand the D has a very 'tight' chamber, you may find some ammo hard to close the bolt on.

52d

seewin thank you for the in put i will get some some black box eley. the barrel is 28"long 3/4"at end of muzzle. also the end of muzzle looks like stainless i will let u know how it shoots when its done snowing. i will post some pics of it . old sidewinder thats why it closed hard when i tried to put lapua l in it. can i shoot br with it and where is the closest br shoots to me i have my owen 125 yard range out my back door.

sub quarter, thanks for the info. It is indeed a standard weight barrel rifle, which is relatively rare in the D model. As I mentioned earlier, for some reason there were a bunch of these made at the beginning of D production. Perhaps Winchester was trying to unload some left over C barrels. The standard weight barreled guns were never near as popular as the heavy weight versions. I have never noticed any discernable difference in accuracy off the bench.
The D model triggers will adjust down quite a bit lower than the C version. You should be able to get it down to a reliable pull under 1 pound.
Enjoy!
Steve
PS: email me at seewinr@aol.com, and I will forward some additional info for you.

52d

seewin i will be talking to you soon. mark thank you i will get some wolf to try. i am looking for a br match close to middlebury vermont also looking for a 52d heavy barrel if i can find one thanks guys for all your help.:)

Back