Win 52-B

R

ronbla3

What scope mounts are available for a 52-B that hasn't had the receiver drilled and tapped yet? Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would depend on what mounts were originally used. Since the B's were not drilled and tapped from the factory, any number of mounts could have been used originally.
Weaver makes bases that fit a 52E. Possibly they might work. It would depend on how many holes are in receiver and what the spacing is. Redfield also made a 1pc mount for the the 52C sporters at one time. That mount could have been used for a pattern as well. The Redfields are very scarce and hard to find.

52-b

Might this be anything other than an original "B" as a newer Reproduction?
At times there is confusion here.

As Steve suggested, if original, it depends on the base it was D&T to mount.
I have an original "B" that was D&T at 45 degrees from top center for a mount I believe to be a Weaver but I've been unable to locate one.

I also have a NIB Redfield that Steve spoke of for the 52 if you're interested, but no guarantee it will fit your hole spacing. It matches neither the "E" or Repro hole spacing.

If you are lucky the hole spacing will be the same as barrel dovetail scope blocks. Mounting a pair of these will allow you to use any of the 3/8" clamp-on rings. If this is the spacing the Weaver mentioned for the "E" should work.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
I typed it wrong there are no holes drilled yet on the receiver.

If you email Weaver's tech folks w/ the hole spacing and reciever diameter, they can tell you what top mount bases will fit IF...I say IF it was D&T'ed for Weaver top mount bases to begin with.

However, if it's D&Ted across the top, then knowing the receiver diameter can still fix you up. They can give you the part # for a base that will fit the receiver profile. You may have to drill a hole of two in the alumium base to match the receiver hole pattern.

Any man that can lay out lines can do this job easily. A drill press is best, but it can be done w/ a hand drill & vice.

All you need is a bit a few thousands bigger then the screw shank, a bit big enough to countersink for the screw head, a calipers, straight edge, centerpunch and hammer, and a way to drill.

My 52B has a Lyman 20 power scope on the barrel. Plus a set of Redfield Iron sights.

Most B's have a dovetail block at the rear of the receiver. You can mount a Unertl or Lyman type block to this and then this block together with the rear block on the barrel provide good bases for Millet and similar rings made to mount to 22 dovetail receivers. You will have to grind the bottom of the new rear base to lower it slightly and match it to the flat dovetail block. You may also have to get a slightly higher rear barrel base. Actually the best mounting requires milling the rear of receiver flat but few will want to do this. Use of the dovetail block eliminates the need to drill and tap the receiver.
Millet makes the lowest rings and thus the lowest scope mounting. If you chose a scope with large diameter eyepiece you will have to mount the scope high. Low scope mounting requires bolt handle modification to clear large eyepiece on low mounted scopes. You can avoid bolt alteration only by using a very high mounted scope. If you use weaver type bases on the receiver you will have trouble mounting the scope with correct eye relief. Mostly this applies to gun fired in position. If fired from a bench you may get by with a scope mounted far to the rear. You can get a good mounting for a Weaver 36X with this method.

If it is not drilled/tapped already, the easiest solution is to get one of Ken Viani's mounts. They use the existing holes on the barrel and the receiver sight holes on the action. It's all bolt on with no hassle, and a quality piece of workmanship as well. I don't have his number at hand, however I'm sure a Google search will turn it up.
Steve

Back