Will a Remington 700 LA feed a 7mm-08 as smooth as a SA?

VaniB

Before I go assuming what seems obvious to me, I figure I better double check here with some of you guys first .....before I go making any rifle purchase; Will a Rem 700 BDL long action that was originally built to feed a 25-06, 270, 280, or 30-06 feed and chamber my shorter cased 7mm-08AI cartridges just as reliably?......and extract and toss out unfired cartridges reliably too?

I'm thinking of loading 7mm-08 AI cases with the base of 150gr, or 162 grain Amax bullets set in the neck (and not much in the case body) to allow more space for powder. I was advised to go for a long action if I want the BDL repeater aspect of the rifle to work properly. While I intend to use this rifle mostly for target work and intend to feed the cartridges individually into the chamber by hand, I still want the rifle to feed and function properly out of the magazine like any other off-the-shelf 700 BDL rifle, if I ever want to use it that way.

Since the "feed rails" on a Rem 700 are part of the magazine box it may or may not work 100% with the shorter case. My 700 LA will feed 308W out of the magazine with the cartridges seated in back of the magazine. I can't say what would happen if the cartridges move to the front of the magazine which they will tend to do under recoil. Also, I can't say if it will extract and eject properly. YMMV. Best to find somebody who has one and try it.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a 7mm 08 on a long action 700 and use a Kwik Klip detachable magazine conversion. It works very well as a hunting rifle. Lots of room for long bullets...

I built a 7mm 08 on a long action 700 and use a Kwik Klip detachable magazine conversion. It works very well as a hunting rifle. Lots of room for long bullets...

Dennis, I googled the "Kwik Klip" to see that it is trigger-guard assembly which converts the BDL to a detachable magazine fed weapon. But, it only comes in blue/black, and I'm plannning on making this rifle in all stainless. But then is what you are indirectly saying is "NO", that I can't expect a long action chamber to just sweep up and feed or extract 308 short action sized cartridges reliably?

I'm now finding it a bit curious how I've read so many posts through the years with folks addressing this same exact question that I'm asking here.....with nobody ever metioned whether or not it works. I know I've read bunches of posts where it is suggested to use a long 700 chamber if somebody is planning to stuff verly long VLD bulllets into the 243, 6mm, or 7mm-08 cases. Ironic that nobody much seems to mention if the rifle will function reliably this way. I've always asssumed it would.

Dennis, I googled the "Kwik Klip" to see that it is trigger-guard assembly which converts the BDL to a detachable magazine fed weapon. But, it only comes in blue/black, and I'm plannning on making this rifle in all stainless. But then is what you are indirectly saying is "NO", that I can't expect a long action chamber to just sweep up and feed or extract 308 short action sized cartridges reliably?

I'm now finding it a bit curious how I've read so many posts through the years with folks addressing this same exact question that I'm asking here.....with nobody ever metioned whether or not it works. I know I've read bunches of posts where it is suggested to use a long 700 chamber if somebody is planning to stuff verly long VLD bulllets into the 243, 6mm, or 7mm-08 cases. Ironic that nobody much seems to mention if the rifle will function reliably this way. I've always asssumed it would.

I blasted and painted my Kwik Klip a stainless colour as the original was beat up and marked... I have never tried to see how the original long action would feed the 7mm 08 as I wanted a detachable magazine right from the start and I wanted the reliability of the proven Kwik Klip magazine as I have used it before.

I suspect if the recoil is a problem with the 7mm 08 cartridge moving forward in the magazine box a simple shoulder stop could be soldered in the magazine box.

If you have access to a long action try feeding your 7mm 08's though it. It should work.

Vanib

As I said, my LA will feed 308W slicker than snot. But there is an awful lot of empty space at the front of the box and you'd have to experiment a little to see what might happen if the cartridges do move forward to varying degrees. Or, you could do as Dennis suggested, glue or solder in a shoulder stop. This was a common practice in days of yore to keep the soft points from battering on the front of the box. Another option is to fit a plate at the rear of the box that will, effectively, shorten it. That too was common in the Win M70 and I think the Rem 700 chambered for the 222R did the same thing, didn't they?

Lot's of ways to skin this cat. All it takes is a little "tryin it out".

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray,

I appreciate your input and it did not go unnoticed. Due to your positive opinion, I intend to proceed with the project in a long action.

Dennis,

It seems a lot of folks have bought that Kwik Klip from Cabella's for which I was reading a lot of mixed feedback that they left on it. While the concept does sound appealing for a target-tactical kind of weapon, it seems the quality leaves some to be desired. (no surprise as $99 isn't a whole lot of money either!) HOWEVER, when I checked a couple of more expensive brands at $200 and $400 of the same concept device being sold at Midway, it turns out they were only for the 308 S.A. chambers. (Badger Ordinance was one of the names, but I can't remember the other at the moment)

So, my question to you about this long action "Kwik Klip"; does it seem to you like the lips on this L.A. magazine look to hold the shorter cartridges firmly in place so that the cartridges get guided into the chamber reliably? The Kwik Klip folks do not make any recommendations about using a short action case in this device, (they mention long action cartridges only) so I was wondering if in your opinion it is some kind of a firm hold which allows it to work with the short cartridges. (??)

Last edited:
It's a single stack magazine.. they are very reliable... a little slow loading as each cartridge has to be fed from the front and pushed back... the magazine is stamped to fit; 25-06,270,280,30-06,7x57,264,7mmRemMag,300Mag.

And it has worked flawlessly with my 7mm-08.

The triggerguard assy is aluminum, the magazines are steel with a nylon type follower.

It's a single stack magazine.. they are very reliable... a little slow loading as each cartridge has to be fed from the front and pushed back... the magazine is stamped to fit; 25-06,270,280,30-06,7x57,264,7mmRemMag,300Mag.

And it has worked flawlessly with my 7mm-08.

The triggerguard assy is aluminum, the magazines are steel with a nylon type follower.

Well, you just acknowledged and metioned those cartridges which are ALL long action cartridges......and you insist that it works flawlessly with this short action 308 based case. That's good enough for me!! I'll keep this gadget in mind when I start the project. It sounds like nice accessory to install into a target - tactical style rifle anyway, and I sure don't mind hearing it will take care of feeding concerns with the 7mm-08 that I might have otherwise had.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

If you do have problems with it feeding, you can get the block that Remington uses for their .223 magazines from Brownell's in their factory parts, modify the rear of the magazine and pop rivet one side of the block to the rear of the magazine. The follower will need to be shortened and you can use a short action magazine spring to replace the longer magazine spring as well. Similar to what I do to make a short action 700 feed a 6 BR as in this link. I've done that to get WSM's to feed and it works pretty well. If the bullet is seated long on the 7-08, you may not have any trouble anyway.

Back