Will a 55gr .224 V-Max survive a 8" twist

55 V-Max

Worker: Work fine in 2, Krieger 1-7.8 ( advertised as 1-8), and one of my most consistantly accurate "lighter" weights. Also problem free and accurate in a button rifled Hart 1-8.

without knowing what it is being used in and at what speed, the question can not be answered.

Jim

I would say yes in a 223, but NO in anything faster!! I have a 22-250AI that
blows up almost any bullet lighter then 65gr with an 8 twist..

Jhart some thing is wrong with your BBL

Just got back from the range . 44grs of W-W 760 pushed that 55gr V-Max 3900 FPS producing a nice tight round group at 5 feet from tip of BBL

55 gr. V-Max survival

Cut rifled 8" twist bbl will it smoke a 55gr V-max?

Worker,
Give it a try and you may be surprised. I have a 1:14" Hart chambered in .22-250 A.I. that shoots 50 grn. Nosler Ballistic Tips @ 4150 ft/s. very accurately; really spoils a groundhog's day. I also have a 1:8" Kreiger chambered with the same reamer to shoot heavier bullets. The 50 grn. Nosler's shoot very accurately out of that, which surprised me, and would have never known if I hadn't given it a try.

Lou Baccino

Yes V-maxs do work

Sunday I fired 55gr V-maxs (3,900+)and they worked just fine. But the down range trajectory of the 80gr A-max is so far superior that there just isn't any point . So I'll save my V-maxs for my AR-15....... I'm sorry but those are the rules ....

Isn't 1:7 a common twist in military carbines?
and 55gr a common ball ammo for 5.56?

50 grain

Chino what powder charge are you using? I just put together a 22-250AI and I am going to try 38G of varget with 50G Nosler vmax.

Powder Charge

Chino what powder charge are you using? I just put together a 22-250AI and I am going to try 38G of varget with 50G Nosler vmax.

Please bear in mind that this load works in my rifle and I thereby idemnify myself in recommending that you use it in yours; follow normal safe loading practices with regards to your particular situation. Sorry about the legalese but many are reluctant to publish load data without a disclaimer of sorts.

The load I use with a 50 grn. Nosler Ballistic Tip in a .22-250 A.I. is 40+ grn. H380 with a Federal Large Rifle Match primer. This combo. is deadly accurate in my 1:14" Hart and my 1:8" Kreiger. Both barrels reamed with a .250 neck diameter reamer by the same gunsmith. The 1:8" Kreiger was actually throated for 69 grn. Sierra Match Kings. My point was that the 1:8" Kreiger shoots that combo. with no ill effects to the bullet. I know the velocity of that combo. in the 1:14" Hart is 4150 ft/s. A center of mass shot on a crow @200 yds. turns Mr. Corvid into an explosive puff of black with very little left. Many an eastern groundhog has been bitten by this combo.

Lou Baccino

"Please bear in mind that this load works in my rifle and I thereby idemnify myself in recommending that you use it in yours; follow normal safe loading practices with regards to your particular situation. Sorry about the legalese but many are reluctant to publish load data without a disclaimer of sorts."

No offense intended, but if you want to attempt to disclaim liability, you should do it in simple English instead of "legalese." I don't think you really said what you wanted to say.

Load info.

Thank you for the load info lou.

You're welcome.

Lou Baccino

p.s. When I originally worked this load up I was using CCI Large Rifle mag. primers due to the old rule of thumb to use them with ball powder (H380). I found the change to Fed. Large Rifle Match tightened the group up considerably.

Legalese

"Please bear in mind that this load works in my rifle and I thereby idemnify myself in recommending that you use it in yours; follow normal safe loading practices with regards to your particular situation. Sorry about the legalese but many are reluctant to publish load data without a disclaimer of sorts."

No offense intended, but if you want to attempt to disclaim liability, you should do it in simple English instead of "legalese." I don't think you really said what you wanted to say.

No offense taken. I've noticed on this site and many others that people are reluctant to publish exact load data, which is why I said 40+ grn. This is safe enough below my actual load to not get this gent into trouble but to allow him to get to where he will most likely hit an acceptable load in his barrel.

Lou Baccino

Back