Wild River Air Rifle (Grants Pass, OR) - USARB Report Indoors November 22, 2017

Boomer_Mikey

Wild River Air Rifle (Grants Pass, OR) - USARB Report Indoors November 22, 2017

It was good to have Chris back with us. The HV scores in relay 1 and 2 for first place were really
close with only 2X separating the first place shooters. Hoping everyone had a wonderful
Thanksgiving.

Shooter Class Equipment Tar. 1 Tar. 2 Tar. 3 Total

Relay I
Steve Ware LV R.A.W. BM500LW .177 249 10x 249 13x 250 14x 748 37x
Frank Kodl LV Thomas BR .177 248 10x 249 13x 247 8x 744 31x
Ron Silveira LV Thomas BR .177 244 12x 246 12x 249 11x 739 35x

Tom Santos HV Feinwerkbau P70FT .177 250 12x 248 11x 250 12x 748 35x
Dick Strever HV Thomas BR .177 250 13x 243 7x 249 16x 742 36x
Chris Lovitt HV Benjamin Marauder .177 242 9x 245 5x 242 8x 729 22x

Relay II
Dick Strever HV Thomas BR .177 250 10x 249 13x 249 14x 748 37x
Frank Kodl HV Thomas BR .177 247 5x 247 9x 249 11x 743 25x

Next rifle competition will be Indoors December 13, beginning at 9:00 am.
Steve Ware, Match Director

Last edited:
Good Scores

Congratulations to Dick, Tom and Steve for the 250 cards.

We'll be shooting at Holbrook this Saturday and am looking forward to it.

Great Shooting Everyone!

Was hoping to get the new .177 Monsters for the shoot at Holbrook this Sat Dec 2, Still have not arrived. Cold king got his a couple of days ago and posted a 250 target outdoors ! He even shot a row using both the Old Monsters and New style Monsters with out changing his scope any. Totally a different pellet style.

Paul Bendix

Last edited:
Was hoping to get the new .177 Monsters for the shoot at Holbrook this Sat Dec 2, Still have not arrived. Cold king got his a couple of days ago and posted a 250 target outdoors ! He even shot a row using both the Old Monsters and New style Monsters with out changing his scope any. Totally a different pellet style.

Paul Bendix

What rifle/barrel was he using? IMHO the secret is not pellet or barrel but the combination of pellet & barrel that mate well.

Steve W.

"Totally a different pellet style."

Paul Bendix

Hi Paul:

Would it be possible for you to post a couple of pics from both: Old and New Monster pellets?...
I haven't been able to find new pellets or pics showing the difference and I am sure other members haven't either...
Lastly: Does the new design shoot better?

Regards,

AZ

Last edited:
Nevermind Paul, thank you...I found these pics...
Then just please post your comments about accuracy performance of new vs.old design...

Regards,

AZ

New Monsters

I have some and have tried them out of my TM1000 with the poly barrel. Results are not great. Groups were nothing to write home about, but worse is there are flyers. Flyers enough so that when I'm shooting a card at 20 yards, I drop a point. That never happens with even the worse lots of the old monsters.

I'll do more testing, but preliminary results are not good for this pellet with this barrel. I had such high hopes... I just hope they continue to make the old style monsters.

AZ is the picture on the right the "new improved" monsters? Looks like old/standard diabolo style pellets.

The ones on the left work well for most people using polygon barrels (especially if you spend months and months to find specific lots that shoot well :p )

Has anyone rigorously tested the new design vs good lots of the old?

Kim

Test Results

Not rigorously tested, but 4 5 shot groups of the new monsters shot inside at 20 yards had an average CTC of .120 and my best lot of old style monsters shot in the same conditions had an average CTC of .050. So, just one rifle (poly barrel) and a small amount of testing. I'm hoping to do more cause I really want to like them!!

AZ is the picture on the right the "new improved" monsters? Looks like old/standard diabolo style pellets.

Kim

Yes Kim, these new design pellets go back to the traditional "Diabolo" shape...Now, having heard from Chas DiCapua Ibelieve that we are going to have to find out if they shoot any better at different velocities that what we are using with the old design...I have found that when those Diabolo Shaped pellets don't shoot in a certain gun, a slight change in velocity seems to help, usually upwards but then I have also seen them improving going downwards...Nevertheless, most BR shooters shoot Monsters at close to 20 ft./lb. and increasing velocities will very likely take their guns out of HV parameters...

Some top shooters who had insights way before other people even heard about the new pellet design swore that this was "Cutting Edge Technology" and that we would be seeing a "Very Drastic Positive Change In Ammo Performance"....Hopefully this is not one of those instances where 6 groove Poly barrels need to be replaced by conventional 12 groove barrels as we all have seen it happen with JSB's 8.4's not performing that well in polygons for the LV class...

Back