Why the 52 grain?

You are not getting the point.
The bullet weight of 52 to 53 grains was sett by the use of reformed rimfire jackets way before benchrest competition bullets existed or the companies that make them.
The fact that it was 52 to 53 grain was purly coincidental because of the length of a 22 rimfire case in those days.
Later the commercial jacket length and the resultant bullet it formed just followed this lead because the shooters of the day were happy with the 52 -53 grain weight . So the companies gave them what they wanted.
It is still evident today in the Sierra bullet line.
They make a 52 and a 53 grain

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the .22 case- jacket stuff really kicked in after WWII with copper in short supplies. Guys like Harvey D., Sisk, Elwood Epps did a lot with slugs from the mid 40gr on up. Some of these guys pushed the lighter ones well into the 4000+fps range. There's a fair bit of this info in the Landis books.

The 52 gr was developed for benchrest. There were several makers and three comercial makers sierra, hornady, speer. All of them were used in competition and did very well. The 52 gr is made on a 705 jacket.
The best performance was with a core that made the weight come out to 52 or 53 grs. We acheived the best velocity accuracy with this bullet weight in the 222 and 222mag and 2221/2 Those were the popular calibers back in the sixtys and seventys. Most of the shooters had a heavy varmint
in 222 or mag etc for a starter.

Gerry,thats the best answer yet,it was established way back then,the 52 grain bullet with a 14 twist was the best for accuracy and balance and for that twist.
I have made bullets at 40 grains to 60 grains,but the 51 to 53 grain bullets were the Best.
I have tried all the way up to 90 grains with a 7 twist and a 22/284 chamber,they will shoot but nowhere near the groups a short ppc and a 52 grain bullet in a 14 twist.

Gerry won't tell you this but he makes some pretty fair BR bullets, Knows, or knew most of the good makers and has been doing it a long time, I mean a looooong time.

Allot of you guys are giving some good info out. But don't be so proud that you might have read something the other one didn't. To me 52 is just a number. I weighed most 22 BR bullets and if they say 52 on the box that is not a gimmee. Some weigh 51 some 53 depends on how they form the core and what the jackets weigh to start. Doubt much if bullets made on a .705 jacket shoot much different whether 51-55. I know this because I have shot teen aggs with 51-55. Yes I do make my own bullets.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Exactly correct.

Can you really get a 52 grain bullet when using a .22lr case? Does the lead come all the way up to the tip? Also, what is the average jacket length when using a .22lr case?

I was looking through my 1956 Speer Wildcat load book (a cool piece of history) and they talk a great deal about their 52 grain match bullet and the 222 Rem. There is some good information about what makes the bullet accurate, and they suggest that's it's more about uniformity in materials and construction (ie, no air pockets, ect.) than it just being 52 grains.

Thanks to all who have been helping both here, and on the phone.

s.

Back