Why not just use Sporter barrels?

Pete Wass

I have wondered for awhile, with as well as Sporter barrels shoot, why not just use them and forget fooling with tuners? To that end, I fit a Sporter barrel on my 10.5 Turbo last week and shot it yesterday in our match. Seemed to me it shot about as well as the other rifles there. The rifle weighs a flat 8 lbs. now. So, why mess with tuners?

Pete

Pete: Do whatever you wish. That is why we have the UL classes. If it helps you win more often then brag to us about it. bob

Pete, I don't see any reason not too. They shot just as well & some better than a heavy barrels. But they would look different then everyone else's & therefore would be considered tabu...
I thought it looked kinda cool in the Meredith stock myself!!

Keith

I have wondered for awhile, with as well as Sporter barrels shoot, why not just use them and forget fooling with tuners? To that end, I fit a Sporter barrel on my 10.5 Turbo last week and shot it yesterday in our match. Seemed to me it shot about as well as the other rifles there. The rifle weighs a flat 8 lbs. now. So, why mess with tuners?

Pete

Because when you put a 40 power scope on one you will find out they don't shoot as good as you think they do.

If a fellow had a good shooting sporter rifle...and it still shot good when you added a heavier scope and a square forend thingy, I don't see why not. When I say good, I mean good enough to win. You would have to deal with a bit of aggravation and that might be enough to put you at risk for a match or two....or three.

Back