why is it a DQ ?

M

mike in co

in 1000 yd ibs...why is a miss a dq ? ( yes i know , the rule book says so)
what i am asking is what is the reasoning/thought behind the rule ?

for lg, you shoot five , one misses....your penalty is only four shots for score and the 10" penalty to the group ...right...so why make it a dq ?

yes i understand that a shooter making a small group in the 5ring is happy with his small group, and may get pissed at loosing score to a four hit guy...but so what ?? if he was good, he would have five in or near the x, not out in the 5.ring.....

if it suppose to be about precision, why honor someone that cannot shoot near the middle of the target, and penalize someone that can shoot near the middle ?

yes i am new, but i have shot 600....so just tell me why...
thanks
mike

I was just reading your post you say why honor someone that cannot shoot near the middle but your asking to honor someone that cannot get all 5 shots on paper. I see that as the same why honor someone that cannot get all of his bullets on paper. I shot the 600 nationals this year got blowed off paper the 1st target it's the luck of the draw and i do not feel that i should have a shot to beat someone that had all there shots on paper. Just my 2 cents worth

NBRSA long range does not DQ for a shot off paper. If they did, we would never have a winner in Reno or, some days, Sacramento. Shooting in the dead air back east is a nuther thing altogether. ;) ;)

Ray

"for lg, you shoot five , one misses....your penalty is only four shots for score and the 10" penalty to the group ...right...so why make it a dq ?"

Before you notice my post record, yes Im new to posting on BRC but not to IBS 1000yd shooting. I have never heard of this rule you are refering to above. Yes your right this is precision game which means you should have no problem accepting that you have to get all 5 or 10 shots on paper to count. Trust me Ive been or both ends of hero to zero. If your shooting so good that you have 4 rounds in the 10 or 9 ring with one off then something crazy happened. You need to check the condition at the time or check your bullets. ( Right Four on? ) The question I have is why are all the newbie shooter wanting to come in and change the sport around to accommodate their shooting. It took me a few years to figure it out, but now I can hold my own. Never thought once I should try to change the system to help me shoot better or get credit for something I didnt earn.

Thanks Chris

I never thought I'd be defending Mike in Co but, he didn't propose changing any rules, he only asked the reasoning behind the rule. I've often wondered the same thing. It seems to be unique to long range benchrest in IBS, and VA and PA too I think. I can't think of another shooting discipline that does that. As I said above, if NBRSA had that rule we'd play hell declaring a winner at some tournaments.

And Chris - there's no shame in proposing rules changes. There's not a liesure activity with rules that hasn't gone through changes over time. Nothing stays the same. It's true that some proposed changes are by individuals who want to benefit themselves, but it's also true that some original rules were written by the old guys for the same purpose.

Mike's not a newbie to shooting BTW. Only to 1000 yard IBS.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I lost a bullet (or forgot to shoot one??) in an NBRSA 600yd match and I was glad that this didn't DQ me.

The 4 "on" paper were all in the X

I still got two wins for the match even though this "miss" threw me out of the Grand Agg.

So I guess some would say I didn't "earn" the plaques.

??

al

thats not exactly true...a guy with 4 in the 10 and one anywhere else inside the 5 ring beats the four shot guy.......
no one said he would win..my question is why dq the guy ???
he gave hinself a (big) penalty when one goes out.....

again...tell me WHY we dq the off paper shooter.....

mike in co

Mike

As I have stated before, in the IBS 1000yd it is 5 on or 10 on plain and simple. Everybody has a right to voice on this forum for the most part a lot of people i've talked to that has read these posts in reference to the DQs the majority of us don't have a problem with it and yes the wind does blow on the east coast just as bad as it does where you guys are shooting. The best thing i can say is Man Up and take what you get and we're tired of hearing the whining.

so another without a REASON.......
READ the question...
Mike

As I have stated before, in the IBS 1000yd it is 5 on or 10 on plain and simple. Everybody has a right to voice on this forum for the most part a lot of people i've talked to that has read these posts in reference to the DQs the majority of us don't have a problem with it and yes the wind does blow on the east coast just as bad as it does where you guys are shooting. The best thing i can say is Man Up and take what you get and we're tired of hearing the whining.

why it is a DQ

I will try to answer your question the fathers that wrote the ibs rule book in general made the game we shoot as simple as possible the rules are in baseball if a ball is hit foulit is not in play therefore if a bullet is not on paper it is not in play!

Probably because it would seriously pi$$ the guys who spread theirs from one side of the paper to the other but kept them between the lines.

Mike the answer W.R. gave is a good one it is the rule. Why do foul balls not count in baseball? Why if you go out of bounds and come back in football you cannot keep running? You need to play the game for a while befour start trying to rewrite the rule book. This is part of the game you must learn how to keep them on paper. This is step one in playing the game.

I haven't seen anyone, yet, suggest that IBS change it's rules on DQs.

I'm still trying to figure out why they chose the most severe, ultimate, penalty for such a minor thing. Hit a foul ball and you get another swing. Step out of bounds and you run another play. Exceed the speed limit on pit road and you take a penalty lap. In NBRSA Long Range, miss the paper and you get a zero score and 6" or 10" group penalty, but you do not get DQd.

NBRSA followed the IBS rules quite a bit but they didn't adopt the DQ rule. The reason, I think, is because there are NBRSA matches where every shooter has at least one round off paper. Believe it or don't, the wind does blow harder in places like Reno or Midland or Whittington.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
There were agenda items voted down at the winter meeting to change some things about the 600 DQ rules. I have no problem with NBRSA rules the way they are. I also have no problelm with IBS rules. I like IBS better. Puts a little more challange in it.

I really think that most of the IBS 1000yd shooters like the rules as they are now. I don't see why we need to change any rules at the present time. Someone please inform me if the NBRSA shoots only aggerate matches in 600 and 1000 yd competition.

Everybody be nice now. Im trying to move up in my post count.

Fouron

There are not many NBRSA long range tournaments. I know more about the ones in the Southwest. Sacramento is the most active followed by Tucson. AFAIK they are all aggregate tournaments. Many shooters drive long distances to attend and shooting a match or two would hardly justify their time and expense.

Ray

In IBS 1000yd we don't do many agg matches so the DQ is just a thing. We refer to it as being blown off target or the wind got me. Not a big deal.

This topic has been discussed many times before. Not many of the IBS shooters have responded so far, however I can pretty much sum up a good answer for you. Precision target shooting is not easy. It has and always will be a test of equipment and the skill of the marksman. If 10 shots are required to have a target count, then by God there better be 10 shots on the target. That's the game we play and there is no gray area there for dispute. Now, if an association wants to shoot a 9 shot target, then so be it.

If the reasoning behind no DQ's is to keep people from getting discouraged, then you defeat the whole purpose of the exacting requirements for marksmanship at long range. Those persons just have to practice and work harder to stay in the game. Anyone who competes will miss the target sooner or later. It just happens for a multitude of reasons. This is not a Sunday go to meeting sport. It takes a great deal of sacrafice in time, money, personal time from home and sometimes work.

I can tell you right now that the IBS will never accept 9 shots for a record target. The IBS has stayed strong because of inflexible rules like this. As for the comment about no wind back East. I'm hoping you were just kidding. Hawks Ridge and Williamsport, just to name a couple of ranges, can and do humble you real quick.

Last edited:
Thank you Mr Pastor im not much for words especially the right ones good job thanks again for your wisdom.
Stan

Back