Why don't we shoot square boolits? and other great questions...

Don't know about bugs or birds

But many years ago at a LV night shoot at 100yds I fired a shot which we believe hit another shooters bullet who was cross firing. There was a flash of light that appeared to be about 6ft in front of my target followed a split second later by an unusual noise. No additional holes appeared in my target. The line stopped firing and the shooter next door said check your target I think I may have cross fired. I know something like that is virtually impossible to prove one way or another but it's the only explanation that makes sense.
Andy.

Harold Vaughn spent a little time quantifying and testing for the likelihood of a bullet hitting a raindrop. Suffice it to say that the probability is abysmally low.

Higher though than the probability of hitting a bumblebee!

My kids like to jump off of and out of things...... they claim that in freefall you can hardly tell it's raining. You can look around and count raindrops.

I believe them, they're much better observers than me.

They also observe that upon hitting the end of the bungee, reversing upwards is akin to climbing a waterfall....

Now back to the op, the law of universal gravitation states as fact that YES a vehicle driving by the range does pull the bullet towards it.......... as does the Crab Nebula, and those shrimps I ate last nite.... but measuring the effect would be problematical. "Down in the dirt" as it were.

IMO

As per Andy's 'flash of light' I say a UFO was the probable cause.

al

I have a 22-250 custom rifle in a Red stock
What will be my best bullet and load combination.

I get so tired of people asking this type question when I know different barrels don't even like same bullets some time.

I have a 22-250 custom rifle in a Red stock
What will be my best bullet and load combination.

I get so tired of people asking this type question when I know different barrels don't even like same bullets some time.

Well, if you're a curmudgeon, the question offers all sorts of opportunities. For example, you could point out that while red and green usually go well together, it is such a common solution as to be boring. And greens are tricky. So maybe black is the answer. That's common too. And gold goes well with both.

So the easy answer is the powder should be colored black and the bullet gold. But there is nothing special about that. Less common would be gold-ish powder and a black-ish bulllet. There is a need to experiment to get the hues just right.

As benchrest shooters are special, we're still trying to find the load that has excellent, but unusual colors. We can't offer any advice without a picture, and one with a color bar to boot. Got to be sure just what shade of red the stock really is.

Of course, there is always the risk that as rather careful, picky people, we'll get off on what's wrong with the stock color...

EDIT:

The next time someone asks this question, esp. if they don't mention the stock, first ask what color the stock is.

Last edited:
Well, if you're a curmudgeon, the question offers all sorts of opportunities. For example, you could point out that while red and green usually go well together, it is such a common solution as to be boring. And greens are tricky. So maybe black is the answer. That's common too. And gold goes well with both.

So the easy answer is the powder should be colored black and the bullet gold. But there is nothing special about that. Less common would be gold-ish powder and a black-ish bulllet. There is a need to experiment to get the hues just right.

As benchrest shooters are special, we're still trying to find the load that has excellent, but unusual colors. We can't offer any advice without a picture, and one with a color bar to boot. Got to be sure just what shade of red the stock really is.

Of course, there is always the risk that as rather careful, picky people, we'll get off on what's wrong with the stock color...

EDIT:

The next time someone asks this question, esp. if they don't mention the stock, first ask what color the stock is.

And of course everybody knows Orange rifles require a faster twist barrel for proper stabilization of bullets.

actually you have part right and part wrong....green does go with red, but sierra bullets come in green boxes, so they are the correct bullet...

gezzzzzzzzz it just aint that hard chuckie.....

lol

mik ein co

EDIT:

First, Mike in Co has it all wrong again :rolleyes: We don't have round boolits because the scoring rings are round, we have round scoring rings cause they made the boolits round. Now, all guys who shoot short range BR are really old, so they'd know about history of why their targets have a square on em. They were _trying_ to get it right, but, they only could count to one, so they have only the one square. This makes scoring on that target more difficult. But, if they can only count to one, then it doesn't matter cause they'd all score low anyway! :D

Charles,
Wouldn't Gold boolits be a great idea for BR? Surprised nobody's done it yet? Probably would hold down on copper fouling too eh?

Also Charles, if you wouldn't mind sending a few of those degrees up here, it's been a bit cold lately. As you point out, at least one guy on the forum won't miss his, he isn't using it!

But then, with all the hot air blowing around BRC lately, I expect a little global warming any day now.

Square bullets?

I'm sort of new to this forum, but not new to shooting or building. I have noticed that mainly on this forum that if one was to ask a question that seems to annoy some certain members he is quickly set straight and not very courteously. Thats why I have been a bit reluctant to ask about building a rail gun from scratch. I'm not much into hearing about what cant be done. I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I have read a lot of stupid answers. Mainly those amusing questions come from beginners that need to be educated not belittled or for that fact given English lessons.

Oddly enough square bullets where meant for Muslims and round bullets for Christians I couldn't find if they where ever used that way but thats what they where designed for.

I have on at least 2 occasions missed a game animal by hitting a wire on a fence, that sucks then you have to go find a pair of fencing pliers and some bailing wire while your trophy Antelope is running off, but it makes a cool noise.

Bob

Harold Vaughn spent a little time quantifying and testing for the likelihood of a bullet hitting a raindrop. Suffice it to say that the probability is abysmally low.

Higher though than the probability of hitting a bumblebee!

My kids like to jump off of and out of things...... they claim that in freefall you can hardly tell it's raining. You can look around and count raindrops.

I believe them, they're much better observers than me.

They also observe that upon hitting the end of the bungee, reversing upwards is akin to climbing a waterfall....

Now back to the op, the law of universal gravitation states as fact that YES a vehicle driving by the range does pull the bullet towards it.......... as does the Crab Nebula, and those shrimps I ate last nite.... but measuring the effect would be problematical. "Down in the dirt" as it were.

IMO

As per Andy's 'flash of light' I say a UFO was the probable cause.

al

finally, something i have some direct experience with. I have over 500 skydives and can emphatically state that you do indeed know it is raining while in freefall. it stings like a thousand needles penetrating your face. attempting to count raindrops while this is happening -- i don't think so...

- Have you ever hit a bird, bug, leaf, gremlin, or other anomily?...........

Wolfdawg:cool:

If you are referring to hitting any of these in flight, no. However, I have shot a few bugs. Challenging to say the least.

It usually happens on a warm day just after several cold or freezing days in the fall. The Asian Beetles come out looking for a place to hibernate for the winter. Sometimes the buildings are just covered with them. They crawl on you but lucky for me usually don't bite.

If I have time I will set up a large white sheet of tagboard on the 100 yard target behind the shop and get out the CZ 223 with the Krieger barrel on it, and at least 100 rounds of ammo.

It isn't long before the beetles are landing on the white surface and crawling around. The object is (of course) to shoot beetles on the run (so to speak) at 100 yards. It isn't very easy. They are on the move as soon as they land.

You find out quickly that you have to lead the little buggers. The problem with that is they don't go in straight lines. They crawl willy nilly. They seem to have a turning radius that is 2 points to the right of the decimal point. You just get a lead established on one and he decides to change direction. And its usually about the time the trigger breaks. So you see the bullet hole appear on the target and your little quarry heading in another direction.

I've been tempted to spray the surface with spray disc adhesive to slow them down, but what challenge would that be then. I couldn't consider myself a sportsman doing something as low as that.

Sometimes though, you get lucky. The little beetle runs into your bullet just as it touches the paper, and leaves a very faint circular spray of orange around the bullet hole. Aaaaahhhhhhhh..................sweet success.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember in the old days, 1978 or so we use to put boards on the 100 yd range and coat them with honey and shoot the flys that landed. 3 guys, a 24 pack, bench rifles!!!! great fun. By the time we got through the 24 it was 200yds and a whole bunch of laughter. Life was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I though red stocks dictated Red Dot, blue, Blue Dot, green, Green Dot. All other colors of rifles can be matched by mixing primary colors in the appropriate proportions. Course they'll have to bring out Yellow Dot first. Black rifles are just SOL.

Dennis

PS Blue rifles would have the highest velocity of course due to shorter wave length. Ultra violet would be super velocity but once painted in UV we couldn't see them so they are of no use.

Last edited:
finally, something i have some direct experience with. I have over 500 skydives and can emphatically state that you do indeed know it is raining while in freefall. it stings like a thousand needles penetrating your face. attempting to count raindrops while this is happening -- i don't think so...

hmmmm, you must be going a lot faster than a bungee jumper. I'm guessing that you're head down, full tuck if you're being needled???

My kids haven't skydived in the rain (can't?) but they've bungee'd and basically matched the raindrops' velocity. At that speed there's very little rain to be seen.

al

Thanks for clearing that up Al. I have never bungee jumped or sky dived and my understanding of gravitational properties is minimal but how an object as aerodynamic as a rain drop can fall (considerably) slower than a sky diver had me baffled.

Yeahh that perty much says it! In other words, a tucked in skydiver gets a whole lot wetter than a guy standing on the ground. 10 times wetter in fact in the same amount of time.

But this doesn't change the fact that at any given time the air between you and the target is nearly obstruction free....... without a lot of boring math here's a test, videotape snow or rain. In other words, take a shot while panning on a raindrop or a snowflake, either works.....

Or do a test more like Harold Vaughn did, carry a sheet of paper, count the drops and figure time/distance. Remember that to collide with a raindrop a bullet must also solve the third axis, that of vertical drop.

In fact there aren't many drops to hit in the fraction of a second the bullet's in flight.

al

The was a guy in France that hit a rain drop tell him about the math.

I've always liked shooting in the rain, shot some of my best goups when it rained. If you have ever been in an airplane in a lightning storm the rain goes right over the top of the wing. real neat to watch. I believe the same happens with bullet flight. I can't remember who it was, but someone from the PA. Club hit a swallow. Did not hit the target. Wouldn't a square bullet have a real low BC. and sow down really fast.

Joe Salt

That might not be entirely correct

That the bullet has a force field to keep rain off may be true to an extent. If it were true to all extents a bullet would never hit a raindrop. But, if it rains hard enough, you're gonna hit a raindrop....and it ain't pretty.

Back