Which scope reticle?

And then with Nightforce you can add in the illumined reticles.

Perhaps you can tell me what help an Illuminated Reticle is in a BR scope?
I have never figured it out. I have owned three and all I can say is you gain (lose) right around 1/3 oz weight when you throw the battery away.

and they took the "feature" off the 15-55.
I have never figured it out. I have owned three and all I can say is you gain (lose) right around 1/3 oz weight when you throw the battery away.

If i recall correctly, the fixed 42x does not have an illuminated reticle.

The Fixed Power 42 NF is the hot new scope in BR right now. It is designed so you can finally get NF optics on a 10.5 lb rifle. From all the reports I hear it is a great scope. I have shot nothing lighter than 13.5 in a while so have resisted the urge to acquire one (so far).

NF fixed 42X

I've been reading, sorting, and experimenting lately in order to nail down the perfect (for me) scope. I'd almost made up my mind on the Valdada, but the large amount of distance between the inside ends of the crosshairs and the floating dot was the deal breaker. I locate from the crosshairs to the rings when I hold off. I shot 200 & 300 in some moderately strong & switchy wind this past weekend. I felt a little stranded at times without the crosshairs. Otherwise the Valdada was stellar in every way. I'm sure the reticle is fine for many, it's just not -perfect- for -me-.

The Nightforce 42X w/.094 dot should arrive today or tomorrow. If this one is just right for me I intended on replacing my small fleet of weavers with a small fleet of them.
Dave

i'll start off with i do not shoot short range group, i do shoot some
club short range score.
if you read, it is basically a personal choice, i suggest trying
some scopes before buying.
while i can hold the crosshairs on the box corner,it is
much easier for me to move my dot around the 10 ring
when shooting score.
trying to hold off with crosshairs sighted on the box..
i just do not know.

My thoughts entirely.
I also find that a dot is much better to use when there is mirage around.

I'll second Mr Atkinson re the dot in the mirage.....FOR ME, it boinks back better than crosshairs (I dunno what y'all do but I shoot mirage kinda' bassackwards, firing where the jiggly-wiggly's "snap back" to...)

Where I shoot is a windy range. Timed shoot so no time to faff about with fine tuning a perfectly zeroed scope (for no-wind conditions).

So my preferred reticule is a mil dot. Watch the flags, fire a few sighters and use the mil dots to calculate the offset.

Then watch the flags and shoot to the condition.

Maybe a bit crude for the purists but it works.

* doghunter *

Do you understand what contrast might help with?

Old eyes have plenty of problems.

Do you understand what contrast might help with?

Old eyes have plenty of problems.

My old eyes have plenty of problems, I still do not see how a lighted reticle will help anything unless perhaps you are shooting at night. In my 35 years of shooting Benchrest, around 500 matches I have shot 3 night matches, and never with, or desired, a lighted reticle. I always assumed it was for night hunting of some kind.

Back