Which is better?

B

B. Harvey

I have two rimfires, almost the exact same barrel length between them, shooting the same ammo.

Chrono is at 10 feet-

Gun #1 has an ES of 33 fps for 10 shots
Gun #2 has an ES of 7 fps for 10 shots

Chrono at 50 yards-

Gun #1 has an ES of 6 fps for 10 shots
Gun #2 has an ES of 24 fps for 10 shots

Which would you think is better, a low ES at the muzzle, or at the target?

if your ES is that low either could be the best. only you behind the trigger putting holes in the paper will tell the truth. no amount of Crono speculation is gonna replace that.

I have two rimfires, almost the exact same barrel length between them, shooting the same ammo.

Chrono is at 10 feet-

Gun #1 has an ES of 33 fps for 10 shots
Gun #2 has an ES of 7 fps for 10 shots

Chrono at 50 yards-

Gun #1 has an ES of 6 fps for 10 shots
Gun #2 has an ES of 24 fps for 10 shots

Which would you think is better, a low ES at the muzzle, or at the target?

Were the ES measured at the same time.. same shots? What I mean is did you have 2 chronos and measured the ES at 10 feet and 50 yards at the same time? If not, your results are not valid to base anything off of because it could be the difference in ammo at the time of testing.

Yes, two chrono's that give within 2 fps at the muzzle.

The question is not which to choose based on numbers, the answer on the target was clear. It is more of a 'What would you think is better and why'?

I know that a faster bullet slows more quickly than a slow one, and this would explain why the big ES at the muzzle showed a tightening at the target.

I do not know why the tight ES at the muzzle gained in spread at 50 yards, unless it is possible that the bullets some how had some yaw that was not consistent.

Back