Which Bore Cleaner.?

Dave S

NRA Benefactor Member
Going along with David Valdina's post on "Cleaning, Misc thoughts", which Bore cleaner would you use for cleaning your match bores..

1. Hoppes Benchrest #9

2. Butch's Bore Shine

3. Bore Tech Rimfire Blend

4. Another brand..

Thanks for the feedback..

Dave

For me.
Between relays Pro-Shot's 1-Step or Ballistol Lube.
Good cleaning Bore Tech Rimfire Blend.

I might add, I use Bill Myers method of removing the conbustion ring.

Fred K

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Boretech's rimfire blend between targets, it cleans good but does not get all of the combustion ring out. So, between shooting events I use a little Remington Bore Cleaner on a patch to scrub out the combustion ring.

My favorites

would be # 3 followed by # 4...which would be Ed's Red. When i clean with Rimfire Blend it seems like about 5 rds. after cleaning i am right back on target. I clean the tuner and bloop tube with Ed's [along with my cast bullet rifles].
Colt.45

Solvent

Montana extreme cowboy blend followed by kroil then a few dry patches

Boretech rimfire blend. 2 wet patches, then chamber scrub, then 1 more wet, followed by 2-3 dry. 5-7 shots, rifle is back hummin.

Bore Tech Eliminator mixed 50/50 with KROIL works wonders for me.

I'm using

a patch with a bit of Iosso bore cleaner followed by 1-2 dry patches, a patch with Hoppe's #9, a dry patch and a patch with Kroil. I use Hoppe's #9 and a dry patch on the tuner. Once in a while (maybe 2x a season) I'll run a bronze brush through the barrel a time or two before cleaning. So far, it seems to work well and the rifle still shoots better than I can.

I have used Boretech, BUT did a test. After cleaning a barrel with Boretech rimfire I cleaned it again with Hoppes Elite. You would not believe the crap that came out of my Boretech clean bore.

The Elite is biodegradable and cuts carbon. The only thing I have ever seen that can restore the face of a stainless revolver cylinder to nice bright stainless short of a mill. That stuff works quick.

Back