which 338???

1000yrd ringer

I am lookin to build a 1000 rifle in 338? I am just not sure what 338 I should use?? So my question is in everyones opinion is there a certain 338 that is better than others. like the 338 lapua or 338 win mag?? Anyways please let me know what u guys think!

Depends what you plan on doing at a 1000 yards. Killing and power the 338-378 is hard to beat. Target Shooting I would use a 30 cal

The 338 Rem Ultra gets my nod over the 338 Lapua or the 338-378 Wtby.

The 338 wildcats will get the job at hand accomplished with extensive labor & cost-

You might want to do some research at longrangehunting.com on the .338 EDGE. Simply made from .300 or .375 RUM brass it is apparently easy to tune with exceptional performance and only requires a long action with standard magnum boltface.

I just had a 375 Ruger built up, 24 inch Shilen SS on a Rem 700 and am very happy with how it is shooting. I wonder what necking the round down to 338 would give you, when they came out with the 338 and 300 Rugers they shortened the case.

The brass for Hornady is quality and you headspace off the shoulder standard and not the rim. Possibly the makings of a caliber more acurate than the 338 Win mag.

Just my two cents,

wade

338 rum...........

gets my vote too. I have one I use mostly for hunting, but have shot it at 1000 yds. and like it. I also (as stated above) would like to neck up the 300 RUM case to 338 and try it (a little more case capacity).

gets my vote too. I have one I use mostly for hunting, but have shot it at 1000 yds. and like it. I also (as stated above) would like to neck up the 300 RUM case to 338 and try it (a little more case capacity).

A .338 edge is a .300 rum necked up to .338. I'm doing my homework as well for a .338 & so far this is where I'm leaning. outperforms the .338 rum by a few hundred fps & extremely accurate.(consistently under an inch at 300yds)
Check out www.defensiveedge.net Shawn carlock has pretty much perfected this round & he's got several video clips of the gun in action.

If you are dead set on the 338 then why not go with the proven 30-338.

The .338 Lapua Mag. has proven itself many times in the military as well as civilian matchs. Build one as an F-class rifle and have some fun at matches. A good Saturday of 60 rounds plus sighters and Sunday of 40 rounds plus sighters ought to cure any yearning you have for shooting a .338 at long range matches :D

The 338 Lapua is the king of the accuracy wars IMHO. Have had several (AI AWM's and customs)that will shoot 6in everytime when I do my part at 1K...

Back