where do i start?

bored184

I start by apologizing for being a newb and that my questions will have a little knowledge behind them. Im wanting to get into benchrest shooting at a competive level but as a beginner, I consider my self a decent shot with high power calibers at 100/200 yards and with rimfire at 50 yards. I dont really own a 22 cabable of benchrest shooting so that leads to my first question if my budget is around 500 dollars what rifle would i want to look into or is that not enough money. my second question is that i live in indiana and im wanting to know if any one knows of any BR competitions in the area. I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you guys/gals have on the subject. thanks

Never apolagize for being new. Everyone is new at some point. 500$ is a little light but a start. There are lots of RF BR opportunities in Indana. Go to this sites homepage and click on the logo's for each association and the ranges in your area. GO TO A MATCH. There will be lots of show and tell and will give you an idea of what you need. Someone is bound to hand you a gun and tell you to have fun.

I agree with Don, $500 is a little light. If you shop around you can usually find a used Remington 40X for around $700. These are great rifles to start with. You can then save up some money and have an aftermarket barrel put on it later.

Go to the matches in your area and visit with the competitors. The benchrest guys are some of the best people in the world. So, do not be shy.

Follow this link and it has a map of ranges that shoot 22 benchrest.
http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/Webs/RangeMaps.html

Hope this helps,
Dan Killough
www.killoughshootingsports.com

well if it helps my father is the local gun smith (25-30yrs experience), and a machinist by trade. He is pretty sure he can make an aluminum stock to meet the wieght requirments but it might be a little crude though, trigger work, barrel work and any other surprises that i may come across he is pretty sure he can handle or I to a little extent. so i guess my question is what action/barrel do i choose or is there a rifle out of the box that i can build on?

Thrend

I see where the wood stock is making a comeback in BR. Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber or wood Laminates are better choices than Aluminum.

Back