When is a recoil lug required

T

Tom Howell

Would a recoil lug be required on a glue in Hall Model M for a 6mm AI? Was wondering how heavy a recoiling cartridge could be chambered before a recoil lug would be required. Thanks. Tom

Recoil Lug

Most of the dedicated BR actions have a squared off tang that will function quite well as the recoil lug if bedded properly. Have done several Panda's this way for silhouette shooters with great success. Just finished a Swindlehurst smallbore silhouette rifle and used the squared off tang on that for a recoil lug as well. On rimfires, a recoil lug is probably not an absolute requirement, but the Anschutz 54 worldbeater come from the factory with one. If you have a recoil lug available on a rimfire, it allows clearancing the screws in the pillars so there is no chance of binding and no worries of the action shifting in the bedding. On a rimfire it does pretty much insure that reassembly will be correct every time.

I have a German LUX .222 that has only the bolt handle to lock.

It is clearly a rimfire design used for centerfire.

I got it because the design was so bad, I was going to overload it and blow it up.

But the firing pin hole is so big, at a hair over 50kpsi, the primer pierces.

It is not accurate either.

So it is just a curiosity.

I just noticed

I just noticed a couple months ago that my 6PPC doesn't have a recoil lug.

I don't shoot competition. I bought it used and it does shoot way better than I can. It is an XP-100 action with a Shilen barrel, glued into a bench type stock.

Glued in Hall M

no need for a lug

More danger from bumping the barrel on something and breaking the action loose than from the recoil

Dave

Back