When does the case neck expand?

As Hillary Ramrod Clinton would say, "What difference at this point does it make?" :) Good shooting...James

Like I said in my last post, if the bullet doesn't move first, how comes more tension tunes a gun? What you said Tom makes sense to me. I also see where more tension gives me better long range accuracy. This is with both the 300 WSM and the Dasher. I believe you would get carbon on the neck either way because the neck springs back after release. Matt

You've posed a "deal" that doesn't seem to have any basis but it does seem to work. "Seem" being the very key word. Does increased neck tension cause the case neck to resist expansion or does it just make the bullet harder to seat? Does increased neck tension correct an unrelated issue such as bullet jam into the rifling?

I remember years ago when a lot of the 1000 yard shooter were playing with light neck tension and shot alright but that was back in the early 80's. I have also pulled bullets, then seated them without sizing them again and shot really well. So that tells me neck tension does play a part in accuracy. You just have to find what works best. OH today we have bushings to play with back then I didn't have one!

Joe Salt

You've posed a "deal" that doesn't seem to have any basis but it does seem to work. "Seem" being the very key word. Does increased neck tension cause the case neck to resist expansion or does it just make the bullet harder to seat? Does increased neck tension correct an unrelated issue such as bullet jam into the rifling?
You poised a good question Wilber. I don't know the answer but I do know at 1000 yards bullet tension can tune a gun. I am not sure if the short range guys see this or not. I am a in the lands shooter and tend to use more tension then most. One reason is to hold the bullet so it doesn't slip, and also so I can open the bolt in a ceasefire. I always measure to make sure my bullets aren't moving after closing the bolt. I always take them back out and measure them again. They don't move at lighter tension but shoot better at more tension. So it is not a matter of bullet movement from closing the bolt. Matt

Anyone trying to tune for maximum accuracy soon funds out that neck tension DOES matter. Try tuning a barrel using varying jam and varying neck tension.

Anyone trying to tune for maximum accuracy soon funds out that neck tension DOES matter. Try tuning a barrel using varying jam and varying neck tension.

I think I've done that. Not on purpose for sure but have done it somewhat by shooting worn brass and not changing the bushing as I maybe should. I've won matches with necks that were tight and necks that just barely, or not at all, held the bullet in place. I lost more than I won so that doesn't mean anything at all. Sure, it means something to me as well as what means something to y'all but I don't have any proven basis to preach here.

I do know this for sure...when the range officer calls a cease fire and doesn't allow you to clear your rifle by firing...if you don't have some neck tension you're in a bit of trouble.

Back