What's with all the BAT actions..??

E

eww1350

While looking at the group match results from the IBS website..and the large majority of the top shooters are using BAT actions...the barrel make varies but there seems to be a migration towards the BAT...Is this just a trend..?..or is there something unique about the BAT action that makes it better than the rest..?..I have read many pros-cons about firing pin shrouds, trigger timing...but what is really unusual and different about the BAT versus the rest..?
I would really like to hear input from Stiller, Kelbly, Farley, Hall and other action makers...

Maybe its just people know a good thing when they see it. I like my Bats and I have owned a lot of different custom actions in the last 25 years.

Dick

High tide, low tide
go with the flow
whether they're better
no one knows;)

In the end, the action won't mean as much as the windflag you just ignored....

Bottom line is

that BAT makes a damn good action. SO DOES THE REST THOUGH. These things seem to go in trends. When we started Kelbly was king and Farley was selling good. We came on strong when our drop port was let loose. BAT would build anything for anyone unique, this crew likes that. My belief is that BR shooters will try most anything and everything just because they can. BAT moved up fast with good quality and selling what the shooters want. Lots of the other builders are smaller also, they can only build so many so their exposure is less. I think Kelbly is probably biggest in Intl sales. From our standpoint, we sell many more Predator and TAC actions then BR now. We MAY be the biggest custom action maker in the US by volume with that line. We sell into the thousands per year now.

There is also a lot of following what the leaders do. If Tony shoots something, thats a big endorsement if the action maker uses it. Tony shot Farleys, and so they sold. My understanding is that he and Dwight talked BAT into the 3 lug CM action because Tony had a 3 lug and a moly action that shot well. That is pretty popular now. For that fact, the action Tony has shot on his rail for the last 3 years or so was our Diamondback I built him. I just never really advertised it much. It works and does the job for him I assume, or he wouldnt use it. 5 years from now it will be much different or the same. Most of us have more then enough work to do so I dont think any of us really get to worked up about it. One day we need to have a big dinner that all of us action makers go to, drink lots of beer and never even mention business. Sign me up. I am always hungry, thirsty and ready to BS with the best of them.

We are very lucky to have the quality we have..

I have rebarreled almost every bolt action make on the market and used most of the upper end barrels. We as shooters have never had it so good. Every shooting discipline has its specialty action, barrel and stock and don't forgeting the scopes and accessories. We are a spoiled lot and don't even know it.

Benchrest is a brutal crowd on shooting technology. The best of the best will rise to the top until something better comes along.

Rustystud

Super response jerry stiller

Jerry, that was a great post. I've never met you but sure would like to. Happy Holidays, and keep that Fantastic outlook.

I have had most all of the custom actions at one time or another and the reason I have BAT's not is.....that's what was on the shelf when I went to build new rifles.

Actions I've had:

BAT
Kelbly's (Panda's, Cub and Grizzly)
Borden
Stiller
Hall

We are just so blessed with so many good BR actions. And as you can tell by Jerry Stiller's post....he's a great guy. I've never heard of one custom BR action maker ever say anything negative about another. And unknown to some shooters.....some action makers even help the others out.

Hovis

Back