What's Under Your F-TR Bipod?

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
OK, you guys that shoot F-TR rifles, what sort of bipod do you favor and what do you rest it on? I'm especially interested in those with experience in shooting on rough or uneven ground, such as thick grass over dirt with depressions and such in it. Do you rest the bipod on some sort of board or on your mat? If a mat, is it stiff or flexible? If a board, do you ever put objects under it to level it?

I typically use either a carpeted car floor mat or a thin nylon (flexible) cutting board/sheet to keep the feet from digging/sinking in. Works pretty much the same across gravel, concrete, packed dirt or grass.

If you can't find a reasonably flat-ish spot inside your 6-8 feet of shooting space... I've seen more than one person start leveling things out - more often on gravel/dirt firing lines - range staff would probably object strenuously if you did that on a grass berm...

Leveling not a good plan

Considering ours is a National Guard range owned by the government, further leveling of the grass shooting point might make us unwelcome. I just wish they'd have leveled it a bit better before planting the grass.

+1 I use a roughly 2 ft. x 4 ft. piece of carpet runner which has a rubberized bottom. It seems to work fine regardless of whether its laying on gravel, dirt, of grass.

Jeffvn

20141018_090040 (800x639).jpg
I know this is old thread but I just started F-TR with just two matches so far. First match I was shooting on the front flap on my Midway USA shooting mat my MPOD slides all over the place. Second match I get some scrape sage carpet cut it to reg's and glue it to some backpacking sleeping foam pad. Now my MPOD tracks straight and it is nice to watch your bullet go down range.

Last edited:
View attachment 15491
I know this is old thread but I just started F-TR with just two matches so far. First match I was shooting on the front flap on my Midway USA shooting mat my MPOD slides all over the place. Second match I get some scrape sage carpet cut it to reg's and glue it to some backpacking sleeping foam pad. Now my MPOD tracks straight and it is nice to watch your bullet go down range.

What are the regulation regarding the base for under your bipod? New to F-TR, coming from sling shooting.

Thanks, Mike

Back