whats chambering dominates f-open

skeetlee

I was just wondering what chamberings dominate the f-class game from 600-1000 yards. if any one chambering is of course. I am wanting to do a f-class rifle for 1000 yards and i cant deceide what to go with. I am kinda thinking 260AI Thanks Lee

skeetlee,

The most popular cartridge and the current choice of the US team is 6.5-284. After the recent World Championship, consideration is being given to making a change to a 7mm cartridge to deliver 2900 fps with a 180gr bullet. Charles Ballard just won the F-O National Champ with a straight 284 Win and Jim Murphy placed second with a 7mm short mag, I think a Remington. So if you mean by dominate the performance on paper, there could be be a shift going on right now.

Your suggestion of a 260 Rem has less recoil and much better barrel life than the popular 6.5-284 at the price of lower velocity and somewhat greater wind drift. Those are probably good trade-offs if you're learning the game. A straight 284 has better wind performance, good barrel life and a lot more recoil than a 260 or 6.5-284. Not a popular choice for F-O, but sweet shooting with great accuracy, long barrel life, essentially no recoil and a great platform for developing your skills (especially wind reading) is the 6BR.

Don't pick your cartridge by what is "dominant". That set of compromises probably isn't best for someone new to the game. Pick the one that you think will best serve your development. I think the 260 (or the 6BR) would be a good choice for many folks.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
the best caliber

The best cartradge in the world bar none is one that you can shoot with a high degree of confidence and comfort.

While the 284 is a pretty good cartridge , it probably isnt the best for a newer shooter. With a bigger caliber, the gun hold and bag set up is more critical. New shooters have borrowed my 284 and not done well with it at all. maybe they were scared of the recoil, or just not as consistant with their hold (yes it was off a benchrest). A 260 would be good, but then a 6 Dasher would be great as well.

Not a 300 wm. Its not relly the recoil, that doesn't bother me. Its the fact that it cost 2 times as much for brass and powder than a 308. Even a small expensively brassed cartridge still uses much less powder. My next will probley be the good old 308 for TR or maybe one of the mid 7mm like the 284/7mm08. something I can afford to shoot a hundred rounds a week with. By the way, I'm new to this too, and this is just my opinion.Listen to the people who know what they are talking about, probley not me.

My 260 has served me very well. I am on my second barrel, but if I were to do it over a 6mmbr would be my suggestion. Easy to load for, very accurate, good barrel life.

My 260 has served me very well. I am on my second barrel, but if I were to do it over a 6mmbr would be my suggestion. Easy to load for, very accurate, good barrel life.

Are you getting beat by one (6mmbr) now, or are you in F/TR? I haven't seen any results from Manatee don't know how the March 55x is doing.

Manatee f-class

Love my 6br., march 55x great for old eyes, go the manatee web site for f-class scores, posted there. Tall gun

my 6mmbr has served me very well at 600 and 1000 yard matches.
105 berger. 30.5 gr varget.

TailDrag
I have been using the 223 for f-class. The 260 for steel matches at 565 and 1000 yds. The 6brs are shooting water line flat and very consistant even at 1000. The ability to see your impacts is a great advantage to make your corrections and the 260 is fine for 1000 yds. but not for spotting impacts at 565 yds. I don't have a brake on my rifle and several of the other rifles do. A brake could at least level the playing field a little for me spotting my impacts but would rule it out for NRA competition. The Lapua brass and the inherent accuracy are good combinations that are hard to beat. Yea the old guy edged me out with x count with his 6br at the last match. It was good to see him shoot well. I have the 260 nailed down pretty well now but with a 6br I would have spent less load developement time and more training time. At this point in my shooting it is more about me and less about the equipment. Maybe next month I will shoot the 260. It has been a long time since I cleaned a match. ;)

Back