What's a good calibre for a heavy gun?

It is 40 caliber in the IBS rulebook, not " .400". the 408 cheytac is legal in IBS
Interesting. We banned it at Hawks Ridge way back. Believe Bill Shehane was our IBS representative at the time, and he said there had been a ruling, that .408 was over .40 (or .400, as adding zeros doesn't change things. You round up .408 & see what you get).

But, a different long range committee could always come up with a different interpretation, I suppose. Where has one been accepted & shot?

Hi Charles. I would consider a 308 to be a 30 caliber. In Louisiana State hunting language 35 caliber includes 35 Whelen. 358 would round up over 35. May be apples to oranges but seems to me one would have to be specific about 408 cheytac. Have you gotten anywhere with 338-375 Ruger? Hope you are doing well.
Stephen

Hi Charles. I would consider a 308 to be a 30 caliber. In Louisiana State hunting language 35 caliber includes 35 Whelen. 358 would round up over 35. May be apples to oranges but seems to me one would have to be specific about 408 cheytac. Have you gotten anywhere with 338-375 Ruger? Hope you are doing well.
Stephen
Yeah, that was the argument made for allowing the .408 CheyTac. According to Bill Shehane though, the IBS committee ruled otherwise, at least, a while back.

As to the .338/375, we haven't chambered up the barrel yet. It took over a year for Tooley to get the barrel he wanted. Apparently the government was taking all the .338 barrels Bartlien could make. A lot would be made, and they'd all be committed.

But we have one now! I'm going to go up there & we'll spend a day putting it together, sometime before the end of January. It is going to go on Joel's old record-holding rifle, so with that rifle & Tooley's expertise generally & .338s specifically, it'll get as good a birthing as possible. I know one barrel doesn't prove anything either way, but I'm still excited about it.

Last edited:
Back