What to do during Jan/Feb?

D

david636

I’m curious as to what ARA/BR shooters, that live in the Midwest, do during the cold weather months of January/February.

I have this Friday off from work and it is predicted to be about 40 degrees, sunny, with light winds. Is this too cold to practice?

What can I do during these months to help me improve?

Thanks in advance.

Work

You can work on your equipment, build new guns change out or put on new barrels me and a few friends went down to Dequeen Ar.over the weekend and shot indoors Danny Keeney has a shoot in Ennis Texas too, its a good time to try out new ammo and equipment before the summer season hits.

I'm working on a new stock pattern for my Suhl, and wasting time messing around with 10/22's.

what to do

I'm in buffalo NY and our club has 50 yard benchrest .22 rf every friday mourning year round. We shoot ara, rbr, 50/50 targets. Its not so bad even on cold days, your only out side for 25 minutes or so.

I have set up a tent with heater and bench, Fired through the tent flaps.

Chuck.

I have set up a tent with heater and bench, Fired through the tent flaps.

Chuck.

Doesn't shooting thru the flaps affect accuracy? Not to mention not being able to see the target.

Forty degrees is wam enough for practice. Keep your ammo warm. Watch out for mirage when shooting over snow. Don't expect as much of your warm weather ammo as when it's 70+ degrees. Currently +6 here with somewhere around 2' of snow on the ground. I'll practice in April if we get to 40 degrees.

Ken

Doesn't shooting thru the flaps affect accuracy? Not to mention not being able to see the target.

Forty degrees is wam enough for practice. Keep your ammo warm. Watch out for mirage when shooting over snow. Don't expect as much of your warm weather ammo as when it's 70+ degrees. Currently +6 here with somewhere around 2' of snow on the ground. I'll practice in April if we get to 40 degrees.

Ken

You keep the flaps open a bit of course,let the barrel hang out a bit.
Chuck.

It's only topped freezing here in Ohio one day in the last 3 weeks. The Ohio River is freezing over. I've only seen that happen once in my 53 years. )chill(

What do I do? I open my sliding glass door just enough to stick my rifle out and shoot from inside my living room. :)

Attachments

• livingroom to target b.jpg
    livingroom to target b.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
Back