what threading tool do you use for barrels?

skeetlee

I have been doing some reading about carbide threading inserts, and the differnt profiles and even the difference in grades. I have a nice Kennametal threading tool, but it sometimes left a small amount of chatter.
I havet gotten the big lathe set up yet so this tool may work better on my heavier machine. time will tell. Im thinking I may buy a different tool just to play with, just not sure what one. I may even try a different grade of insert for my Kennametal tool?
I tried the warner Hss insert threading tool but i didnt like it at all. I like all there other stuff, but the threading tool i wasnt impressed with. Maybe i wasnt using it properly, i dont know but i sold it. Just curious as to what other are using. Lee

Full form Carbide inserts all the way!!
I get min from various manufactures, i Just wait till we get the reps in the workshop with discounts etc and get them when they are cheep.. Otherwise i pay around $18 - $25 and insert..

Cheers
Leeroy

Fellas
I am aware that lots of folks have had excellent luck with the warner tool. im really not sure why i didnt. I didnt get a good finish at all when i used mine. I have a close friend who also had the same results as I. What speeds do you fellas thread at? Like i said before, i love there other tooling and i have several pieces that i use all the time. I have some of there sharp .003 I think radius triangle inserts that i use for crowning and they are fabulas. Give me some details if you dont mind sharing. Thanks a bunch. Lee

I use the Warner HS steel inserts and love 'em. I do a lot of barrels, rimfire. I thread at 80rpms. I use carbide inserts to turn tenons at 1000rpms.

The Warner tooling far surpassed my expectations, and it's rare that that happens to me. Now, I wouldn't use anything else for threading.

I have just threaded a barrel using a Carmex full profile laydown insert. The action is a Bat model MB with the extra length for a bedding surface. This action requires that the barrel be sticking out of the chuck about 2.5 inches. The threading process went very well until I completed half the depth and reduced the depth of cut per pass. I begin to hear the dreaded squeal of the insert chattering. I was running at 215 rpm; this is as fast as my age and reflexes will let me thread up to a shoulder. When the chatter occurred I switched to a Warner insert and it turned out OK. One thing to watch for on these hss inserts is bue or built up edge; stop and brush it off with a diamond lapping tool or the threads may not look the best.

Skeet,
Try 60sfm, At about Three thousandths per pass works for me. I like the oil that Bob Pastor sells. Boe

laydown

Try either Jeff's they work great for me or the following

latheinserts.com/LAYDOWN-TOOL-HOLDERS_c98.htm

I think you will like them and I know they work on my Clausing 4900 lathe.
Jerry

I use the Mesa Tool threading / grooving tool with carbide inserts.
Low cost investment, and cuts nice threads. It also doubles as an internal threading tool. Great for cleaning up the threads on a factory action.

http://www.mesatool.com/products/threading-tools/

my $.02 worth
Jeff

Back