What Powder Measure?

Bob259

Wondering what most folks are using with powders like Varget or other stick powders

1. Redding (like BR30)
  2. Electronic auto dispensing (Like RCBS Chargemaster)
  3. Harrell
  4. Other????

Item number "2"...
You will not have to develope a technique...
Just punch in the load you want and seat a bullet while the next load is being dispensed..."Fool Proof" if you follow instructions...;)

Wondering what most folks are using with powders like Varget or other stick powders

1. Redding (like BR30)
  3. Harrell
  4. Other????

I vote.............. #3

AND

WINDFLAGS............

Then you can develop a shooting style (technique).................. Assuming you have a Benchrest rifle and GOOD components and or an accurate varmint gun. MOST use a Harrell or a "custom" Culver measure... They throw plenty consistent (many non Benchrest shooters argue that + -.01 of a grain variable is just "killer"... I disagree... Just a little practice and you can throw ACCURATE loads from a Harrell "Culver".. Day in day out. )... MOST of your issues will be in flight(missed condition with DEAD NUTS powder weight in the case). ESPECIALLY if your gun is a well built Benchrest rifle, you will BETTER see the wind.

Nothing wrong with the BR30 or the Chargemaster....

cale

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with cale.
# 3.

But, you would be surprised at the accuracy of the Lee Pro Powder measure.
+/- .1 gn. Unless, you cut a kernel. :eek: Then it will be .4 gn less. And on sale at Midwayusa for only $20.
But, I am just a new guy.
Tim

I am with cale.
# 3.

But, you would be surprised at the accuracy of the Lee Pro Powder measure.
+/- .1 gn. Unless, you cut a kernel. :eek: Then it will be .4 gn less. And on sale at Midwayusa for only $20.
But, I am just a new guy.
Tim

Yes,

A varmint hunter friend of mine has one of those Lee measures... I too was impressed with its ability to throw bulky H4350 at solid consistency... 22-243 case.

cale

I was using the Lee until I got the Pact dispenser to go along with my Pact scale. If it's off at all it's only by 1/10. Amazing. Has made reloading much much easier. While it's throwing a charge I'm seating a bullet. When I look at the scale I can't believe it's so consistent.

One thing that also helps a lot is a little RCBS pan that is both a pan and a funnel in one. You take the full pan off the scale and just dump the powder into the case. Best $6 I ever spent. The dispenser was the best $125 I ever spent.
I've just used it with Varget, but I hear Varget is tough to meter. Was in the Lee which I now only use for pistol.

I went from Lee Auto Disk and Perfect Powder Measure to the RCBS Chargemaster.

Lyman and PACT also have electronic powder droppers. I wonder if they are all the same internally.

I had the Redding 3BR on the wish list, but finally decided to get the RCBS instead. My decision was based on a preference for accuracy/consistency over speed.

Varget and R15 are very similar to me, and all shapes of powder have their issues with all measures.

Some of the powder jumps out of the RCBS. The RCBS is also more delicate than a powder dropper and a nice scale.

Chargemaster is pretty slow compared to a dropper or the Lee Auto Disk. Can be frustrating when you are trying to get out 500 rounds of 45 ACP with 5.3gr of W231. Good to have more than 1 type of measure.

Bob,

If your loading at home.....RCBS chargemaster. You can use it at the range as long as you have power and windbreak.

If your loading at a range without power....a good powder dump will do. I like my Harrell's but I must agree with most on here. That cheap Lee sure does throw good.

Hovis

Thx for the info. I currently have the RCBS Chargmaster and like it, but was looking for thoughts on the drop measures and their accuracy with extruded powder, as I've heard all sorts of stories and was looking to alternatives for the range and speed up the loading process.

Bob ...

1. Redding (like BR30)
  3. Harrell
  4. Other????

I use the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo. For me, its made reloading a lot more fun. I spoke to a fellow at RCBS that helped me speed up the machine. RARELY do I get an over or under charge. When that happens you just dump the charge back into the hopper and keep going. I'm seeing more and more of these at the range [with battery packs hooked up to them]. Jerry Hensler is now using TWO. :)

Bob ...

If you're looking for 0.1 gr. accuracy or better, then trickling will be required.

The RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo provides 0.1 grain accuracy with its built-in trickling. I've verified the accuracy several times with a beam scale and a hand powered trickler. :)

Let's do this..

We'll load some using a chargemaster and some using a drop. You do the shooting without knowing which is which and see if you can pick the groups loaded with the chargemaster.

I've tried them all...

I will say the RCBS chargemaster is the fastest and most accuratefor the price. You may have to play with the program parameters to get the best results with your charge weight range. For fine grain powders I would pick a Culver type measure second. For long grain powders I would pick the Quick Measure over the Culver.

Nat Lambeth

We'll load some using a chargemaster and some using a drop. You do the shooting without knowing which is which and see if you can pick the groups loaded with the chargemaster.

!!!!!!!!!!! Yes.......That's Wilbur ..!

THEN.........

With flags ...

And WITHOUT flags and see >>where the groups start to get ugly<<

Without the flags and with a Chargemaster will result in ...Ugly aggs.
With flags and a powder measure at +- .1gr will result in a MUCH better aggs.

Reading the wind IS the Main ingredient to agging (with a known rifle/equiptment/shooting style-consistency).

Gene Beggs would be THE best source to comment on wether .1gr can be seen in the tunnel..... I believe it's in the tunnel where one could possibly SEE the difference. If any.. And the gun has to be REAL good!...

cale

Cheaper Alternative

Art, I agree and didn't mean to imply that the power units won't do that, only that trickling- in one manner or another - is needed if the degree of precision required of the charge is in the 0.1gr. range. I still think electricity is a passing fad so I use a manula trickler, but I read on a cave wall recently that the lightning powered units work well too! :)

I have an Redding balance beam ($10.00 at sale) scale. I use the Lee dipper just under the charge I want. I then trickle with a 1/2 teaspoon spoon untill I get the desired charge. Not blinding fast but accurate. No lightning required :).

Jeffrey Tooker

Gene has said in the past

!!!!!!!!!!! Yes.......That's Wilbur ..!

THEN.........

With flags ...

And WITHOUT flags and see >>where the groups start to get ugly<<

Without the flags and with a Chargemaster will result in ...Ugly aggs.
With flags and a powder measure at +- .1gr will result in a MUCH better aggs.

Reading the wind IS the Main ingredient to agging (with a known rifle/equiptment/shooting style-consistency).

Gene Beggs would be THE best source to comment on wether .1gr can be seen in the tunnel..... I believe it's in the tunnel where one could possibly SEE the difference. If any.. And the gun has to be REAL good!...

cale

That he has not been able to see any difference, dropped vs weighed HOWEVER, If that is the case why is it that people use such loads as 27.3 or 26.7? If there is no difference then why not 27.6 or 27.5? We all know that there will be the odd or in some cases as much as .4 difference in a series of drops from measures. How do we account for the .4 differenced going into the hole? Why not just shoot with the load .4 over or under?

That may sound confusing but my point is if a rifle performs best with a load measured to a certain tenth of a grain, how is it that we can accept a random tenth variation and accept the group the rifle gives us and say it makes no difference? It has always been my experience when testing that loads weighed to exact tenths shoot smaller holes when one find the exact load the barrel likes than loads even one tenth one side or the other of the one that works best. Same goes for seating depth.

Last edited:
one thing you will notice....he never said a word about benchrest shooting...but atleast two of you brought up wind flags........

who was the last person to shoot varget in a br gun in competition ?

the dillution of the forum is what started the other forum.....why notjust move these nonbr post to the general forum ...and keep this for br ???

lost in co
mike

I would bet

one thing you will notice....he never said a word about benchrest shooting...but atleast two of you brought up wind flags........

who was the last person to shoot varget in a br gun in competition ?

the dillution of the forum is what started the other forum.....why notjust move these nonbr post to the general forum ...and keep this for br ???

lost in co
mike

Scott Garman may have been the last person to shoot Varget in Benchrest and it was last Sunday at Thurmont, Md. He shoots a full 308 in HBR. He uses Varget.

Back