What pin gauge set to order for barrel dialing?

Enco has on sale import zz pin gauge sets. They come in plus and minus sets. The set I am looking at is .060"-.250". It is 190 piece set for $39.99. What set(plus or minus) would be best to rough dial in .236" and. 237" bore sizes?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=30&PMKANO=358&PARTPG=INLMPA&PMCTLG=01

It just depends upon what caliber of barrel you are dialing in and how you are going to use the pins. I have about 8 or 9 sets of Deltronic pins with 25 pins to the set. I tend to use the median pin gauge as a quick and easy way to roughly indicate in the bore of the barrel. Roughly as into .0002" or so. Then moving in later to finish indicating the bore of the barrel directly off the groove to as close as I can get it to zero. The only time you need a particularly smaller pin gauge is when the bore is tighter than the pin guage you are using. For 6mm's you could get by with just one pin a .2358 or less will take care of most .236 or .237 bore barrels. You could do the same for every other caliber and use one pin for each barrel size to indicate in each caliber. As long as you look at the pin gauge as not the end all of indicating the bore and as roughing in the indication of the bore, you can get by with one pin gauge per bore size.

Thanks Mike...that's very helpful. I'll look into ordering a couple Deltronic pins. If you ordered two or three...order a .2358" and maybe a .2357" and .2359"?

I don't understand buying a set in .001" increments when you can get class ZZ in five tenth increments for just over $3.00 each. Buy a spread of 4-6 for each caliber.

Dave

You can get by with one or two pins per caliber, but if you have a set, they come in .0001" increments with 25 pins per set. My median pin is .2365 for the 6mm bore. If you run into a tight bore, you drop down in pin size until you find one that will go in the bore. You then know what bushing size you need to check for your reamer. I still use a rod with the bushing to make sure it doesn't get too tight down the bore for that size bushing. The Gritters rods work well for checking bushing size.

I don't understand buying a set in .001" increments when you can get class ZZ in five tenth increments for just over $3.00 each. Buy a spread of 4-6 for each caliber.

Dave

Dave, the only thing I use the 0.001" pins for is to dial in the muzzle when I am dialing in the chamber.

I use a lead slug to get actuals of the bore. Actually, I don't care about the actual diameters when slugging,
I am concerned about the variation in diameter as the slug is pressed through.

(BTW, JS has ribs on the Stainless smoker...be there at 6PM!)

Jerry,

Damn that sounds good. I'm like you I use pins for the muzzle only. Most of the 700+ barrels I do a year are Bartleins so I can get by with one pin per caliber. Life is good. Better if I could get there by 6 for some ribs.

Dave

Gents,

Instead of using pin gages, I just use the bushings that go on a live pilot reamer. Leave a bit sticking out the end of the barrel to rough it in, and then finish up indicating off of the grooves where the throat will end up. Works for me...

Justin

Back