What Makes a "Good" Action a Good Action?

Peter ,you must not have visited NY while you were over here for the Triple Crown ! The best 22RFBR shooters in the USA hale from there , and win Big at Big Time 22BR matches ,wish you could have met some of them when you over here ,long ways to come and miss our best ! You did get to meet The Buzzard from Buffalo , He is a very good Shooter, but he Can`t hold a torch to those others! If you ever make it back over here maybe they will show up and just shoot circles around the OZ folks , Too bad you miss them!

What exactly does that have to do with anything there, crackerboy? Feeling a little self empowered?

Peter ,you must not have visited NY while you were over here for the Triple Crown ! The best 22RFBR shooters in the USA hale from there , and win Big at Big Time 22BR matches ,wish you could have met some of them when you over here ,long ways to come and miss our best ! You did get to meet The Buzzard from Buffalo , He is a very good Shooter, but he Can`t hold a torch to those others! If you ever make it back over here maybe they will show up and just shoot circles around the OZ folks , Too bad you miss them!

Slick
Yes the triple crown last year was a great trip for me and I did enjoy meeting and shooting against you guys.
I'd like to go back again and shoot with my own gear and take it a little more serious. But you guys are good and realistically I doubt I could break into the top 20 but I'd still like to give it a try.

There was talk of some of us going over next year but we'll see how it works out.

Peter

Last edited:
All this talk and these ideas. We all know deep down in our hearts that only the best action is the best action if it has been properly blue printed to what specs we don't know, nothing documented mind you it just has to be perfect.

Then again maybe not. bob

.22LR ammo used in Rifle Development by Maker

There is no hard data but if you look at results from around the world for about the last 5 year or so, that is the trend that is showing up.

But if a lot of match result isn't a way of judging what is working, what is???

Peter
Hi Guys, Don't have a dog in this thread, but your discussion has brought a question to mind. I am aware of course how particular rifles can be about ammo used vs. accuracy.
Development of, and correct evaluation of the result of changes during development, of any product becomes chaotic if other variables are changed also, test to test. I'm sure varying rate of powder burn among different ammo used will result in different vibration frequencies and harmonics.
So now I am wondering what particular load does Anchutz use, CZ, Cooper, etc.? I would think they have large bulk quantities made to their particular specs, testing thoroughly upon receiving and rigidly rejecting defective product. Of course less costly rifles of same model often "like" different ammo, because due to manufacturing variances and effects of which side of tolerances parts fell on, they are really not "the same rifle".
I wonder also about .22SA pistols because action timing issues abound, with ammo variation.
Same idea as auto engine development using only one CONSISTENT fuel throughout.
Thought of writing some manufacturers, but realized some more knowledgeable shooters here can probably enlighten me. Thanks. Pat

You are probably correct. I was looking at a new, in the box Anschutz 1903. The factory test target was in the box and the ammo used was RWS. Don't recall which RWS.
But, they told me that the barreled action was held in machine for the test firing. Also, it always seems to take hundred(s) rounds before all settles in so, not sure how useful the test is other than ensuring no big problem exists..

Regis

Hi Guys, Don't have a dog in this thread, but your discussion has brought a question to mind. I am aware of course how particular rifles can be about ammo used vs. accuracy.
Development of, and correct evaluation of the result of changes during development, of any product becomes chaotic if other variables are changed also, test to test. I'm sure varying rate of powder burn among different ammo used will result in different vibration frequencies and harmonics.
So now I am wondering what particular load does Anchutz use, CZ, Cooper, etc.? I would think they have large bulk quantities made to their particular specs, testing thoroughly upon receiving and rigidly rejecting defective product. Of course less costly rifles of same model often "like" different ammo, because due to manufacturing variances and effects of which side of tolerances parts fell on, they are really not "the same rifle".
I wonder also about .22SA pistols because action timing issues abound, with ammo variation.
Thought of writing some manufacturers, but realized some more knowledgeable shooters here can probably enlighten me. Thanks. Pat

Interesting.
Do that target test had printed the type of ammo used?
Because I've own several Anschutz, all with the target test, and none of them said which ammo has been used.

You are probably correct. I was looking at a new, in the box Anschutz 1903. The factory test target was in the box and the ammo used was RWS. Don't recall which RWS.
But, they told me that the barreled action was held in machine for the test firing. Also, it always seems to take hundred(s) rounds before all settles in so, not sure how useful the test is other than ensuring no big problem exists..

Regis

Yep, I asked the rep what ammo and he showed me that it said RWS.
This was at Champion's Choice.

Interesting.
Do that target test had printed the type of ammo used?
Because I've own several Anschutz, all with the target test, and none of them said which ammo has been used.

Most ammo is similar, the big variable is probably more powder vs less. There is no mfg I ever heard about having any capacity to have specialty developed ammunition from anybody. They buy a selection and shoot it.

Back