What is the prefered reticle for F-Class?

"Most" F Class shooters probably didn't consider this more than a personal choice of what they like to look at. Since we rarely have any wind at our 600Y home range, I chose a CH3 on my 12-42X Nightforce, it is a very fine crosshair with no marks of any type. If you have screaming winds at times you may want a MIL Dot or MOA reticle so you can hold off. My 1000 yard rifle, for 600Y and away ranges, has a MIL Dot on it, next time it will get a MOA like the NP R1.

Danny,

I'm a clean crosshair man.

I figure that there are extra knobs, bumps or scratches there, someday I might use the wrong one, or misremember which side I need to use. Hereabouts, targets have rings specified diameters for each range which i can easily convert to MOA on a plot sheet I can refer to when I need to take a specified MOA holdoff.

I believe that the big difference between F & TR (Palma) is that when you're behind a scope, you can decide & shoot much quicker & you can include a higher element of spotter chasing into that process.

John

I agree with John Kiely in prefering a plain reticle most instances. It is less clutter and less in the way to break your concentration. I will be keeping one duplex reticle type scope though for use in very long range (1200-1500yd) competitions as I can use the bottom duplex for aiming at the very long ranges when normal NF scope run out of elevaton.

NP-2DD reticle

Most of the guys I know here in Florida use the NP-2DD reticle on their NF scopes.
I am planning on getting one but I am a bit apprehensive of the reasons
they like it. Guess "aiming" is in the eye of the beholder. Any opinions on the 2DD on the NF.

Right now I have two Nightforces with the NP2-DD and I like them alot. However I shoot mostly white targets with black rings, or the IBS or NBRSA 600 yard target which is white with a blue center.
My concern is moving to F-Class where you shoot on black targets and was wondering if there is a better choice. If not I'd stick with the NP2-DD.

Danny

I've been using the 2DD for a couple years now, and like it a lot. I briefly tried the CH-3, but it proved too fine for my eyes to handle so I changed back to the 2DD. If I were going to try another it'd probably be either a R1 or a a CH-2.

I use the NP-R2. However, I rarely ever use anything other than the center crosshairs and hold off. So why have all the "clutter?" Don't know. It's just what I'm used to.
FWIW

David Gosnell

Last edited:
Danny,

There are several different aiming methods in F-Class that I'm aware of, and different reticules can suit each method. For those who hold off for wind etc. on the target rings, then a plain cross-hair or duplex is best I think. If you always aim at a white centre and adjust the knobs every shot, then a dot makes sense. If you want to hold off using the reticule rather than target rings, then a mil dot is okay, but maybe something like a NF NP-R2 with wider spacing between the ticks is less prone to mistakes. Some shooters actually aim at the bottom of the V (or X) ring - not sure what their reticule preference would be. One thing important for those who hold off is to have a long horizontal cross-hair, preferably full width, so that if you do need to aim well wide of the middle, you can still get the elevation sighted correctly. At least one of the NF reticles has no horizontal cross-hair.

Alan

Thanks for all the imput. Every little bit helps.

Danny

Back