What digital 1" micrometer to buy

One thing I have not seen mentioned or just overlooked it.
Get a set of good gauge blocks.
Then you can always check you mic or caliper.
Because whether it is electronic or not it can get out and having the gauge blocks does 2 things.
1 it makes sure the instrument is actually accurate
2 it gives you piece of mind that the instrument is actually accurate.

Wether your measuring with mechanical or electronic or digital, there is a certain feel that needs to be learned. The wrong
amount of pressure will not affect your reading much when measuring a guage block, but will give you bad numbers when
measuring a small pilot bushing. Measuring case necks for thickness with a ball mike is a grand example , but wandering
readings can have different reasons. Having a chest full of 5 place measuring devises will not get you there.

Have you seen the newer Starrett stuff?? It is pretty junky. My old Craftsman is better that the new Starrett mikes. I know several journeymen machinists that use B&S, they are the ones that got me started on them. We have a bunch of Mitutoyos, Starretts, and some chicoms at work. I hate them all!

Some day I will find a digital caliper that is worth buying but not yet.

That's sad.
Starrett used to be the gold standard in precision measuring equip't. Thank goodness all of my Starrett equipment comes from a previous time.

Instead of creating a new thread, can someone create a list of measuring tools and accessories that a new person to reloading and benchrest should always have. These will also be applied to my hunting rifles. Do you guys tend to use mic's or calipers for most of your work?

Also, i'm the type of person who only buys tools once so that means buying the best of the best. I know these types of tools are extremely expensive so more than likely the outcome will be only purchasing one measuring tool for now. With that said, if you had to pick one measuring tool to do your general work which would it be? A caliper or a mic?

Last edited by a moderator:
All the mechanical digitals I've seen have too many moving parts to be 1) reliable and 2) accurate.

Your question about slant vs straight graduations, if you mean what I think you mean, your opinion is correct. Are both features offered by B&S??

BTW, I've never seen too many full time journeyman machinists or Tool and Die folks use B&S. Most used Starrett. Mitutoyo, or Lufkin.

Nowdays I guess it probably doesn't matter since they are all probably made in ChiCom slave labor tents.....note that many of these ChiCom shops are just that-tents!!

I earned a living for 40 years as a machinist.Own my own tools....Have no faith in digital...to many pieces..Buy a std. mic that`ll read in .0001"`s and learn how to use it....
bill larson

I earned a living for 40 years as a machinist.Own my own tools....Have no faith in digital...to many pieces..Buy a std. mic that`ll read in .0001"`s and learn how to use it....
bill larson

Do you have a recommendation?

for cartridge oal or ogive lenght, calipers are the way to go. that and a bullet comparitor of some type.
digital work fine

for bullet dia, neck dia etc...a 1" mic.....mechanical digital works as does just straight mechanical...i do own some electronic digital..not cheap.

neither work well for neck wall thickness...that a whole 'nother tool.....and you need 4 places, so not cheap again.
those three i think will serve a nonmachinist loader.....
mike in co

So when we are looking to purchase a Mic or a set of calipers, at what point do you say "this is too expensive or this is too cheap?" I can go online and see a ton of different makers out there that offer the same type of tool but at prices that are beyond my reach or prices that make you question the quality.

And why can't a caliper be used to measure bullet and neck dia? Accuracy?

measuring to .0001 is a feel technique.....
calipers are typically not 4 place, and thier physical size is not user friendly when measuring small things.

as to price i cannot help too much. half of my mic's were bought in japan in the early 70's. i think i have about $100 in 4 mics, the smallest of which is a mechanical digita accurate to .001mm( thats 0.0000394") mitutoyo's. 193-111 on amazon right now for $156 shipped is a deal.
buy name brands, buy what is a bit more than you think you want to spend.
i picked up a electronic digital 1" double ball end mitutoyo mic (.00005")for $60 a couple years back..that is a $300 mic.so keep your eyes open.
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a recommendation?

buy the tools from a retiring machinist.OLDER starett/B&S,mititoyo....carbide faces is a plus.0-1" mike ,1-2" mike,depth mike 1-3",mititoyo dial calipers....UNLESS MISTREATED YOU`LL NEVER WEAR THEM OUT.Now dial calipers are notorious for getting chips stuck in the gear rack.Just blow them out with air...and LITE oil....
Before and since retirement my shop consists of a 13" lathe and 2 bridgeports.... I still use my old tools ( friends) whenever I rebarrel/barrel/action work....they still treat me well.and are not wore out... my sons will inherhit them.
bill larson

Last edited:
I'm currently looking at a old starret vernier caliper.. I like the idea of eliminating the dial. Less moving parts to go bad or out of alignment.

how old are you and how good are your eyes ???
.001 is fine for most stuff a reloader does with a caliper.......
mike in co
I'm currently looking at a old starret vernier caliper.. I like the idea of eliminating the dial. Less moving parts to go bad or out of alignment.

how old are you and how good are your eyes ???
.001 is fine for most stuff a reloader does with a caliper.......
mike in co

Im 28 with excellent eyes. Thought all calipers went to .001, thats what i am bidding on. And the older starrett stuff is not that expensive. Much cheaper than any new vernier.

I stopped using a "verynear" caliper and went to a Mititoyo electronic one. It passes govt calibration everytime and I dont have chips getting stuck in the rack like a dial.

sorry you are not allowed to vary from the norm..this is benchrest and you must be a lemming and do as the others do...
yep if can afford the best go for it...

I stopped using a "verynear" caliper and went to a Mititoyo electronic one. It passes govt calibration everytime and I dont have chips getting stuck in the rack like a dial.

Back