What diameter throat for match 6.5 reamer?

rooshooter

I will be ordering a 6.5 reamer soon and was wondering what throat diameter would be best for F class/1000yd BR? I have some remaers with .002" clearance but have seen some with as little as .0001" (Tenth of a thou) clearance.

Rooshooter:

All measurements on a reamer should be to the tenths. .0001" reamers are ground in a cylindrical tool grinder not turned on a lathe.

Your question can not be answered without more information. Throats are a 3 dementional measurment it is a tapered cylinder. They are measured on a taper, i.e. 1 degree 30, 1 degree 50, 1 degree 60, 1 degree 70.

Throats are set measuring off the seated bullet. Depending on your bullet length and design.

I would suggest you follow the advicce of an experienced tool maker i.e. Dave Kiff, gunsmith, shooter.

As a gunsmith I have had a number of nemrods come to me with their "new super duper reamer" to find out it has a design flaw because they did not know what they were talking about. Most general gunsmith just use the reamer given them without much of an examination. Then when the rifle want shoot as planned the gunsmith or barrel gets the blame. Reamers should be well thought out with someone who knows what to look for.

Good Luck
Nat Lambeth

I would use a lead dia. of .2645. Any tighter may cause issues and help your accuracy about zero.

Rusty. The reason I asked the questions was to get some advice from those who know what they are talking about, so I,m not stuck with an unsuitable reamer as you said.
A previous reamer I got ground for target application from Dave Kiff had a throat .002" over bullet diameter, so I thought I would get some second opinions.
I have asked for a 1.30 leade angle, but I,m not too concerned about throat length or angle as I can get it throated out with a separate throating reamer if need be to suit.
Jim S, about .0005 over bullet diameter was what I was thinking as well. As you say, any tighter might cause issues with no gain.

Make sure and measure the diameter of the bullet you are wanting to use and then go .0005" over bullet diameter measured with a 1" mike. I shoot more 6mm bullets than anything and normally use a .2435" freebore with them. But have also seen 6mm bullets that will mike .2435 on the shank. I'd want a little more freebore diameter on a fat bullet. I don't worry about what they measure at the heel on a flatbase bullet only the shank.

Throating reamers

Hunting chamber throats generally looser because of varied bullets actual diameter and ogive. As much as .002"

Target chamber throats are generally tighter(.0005)over bullet diameter), especially for long low drag bullets.

My PT&G throating reamers are .0005 at the point behind the taper.

Look at a PT&G reamer drawing and you will see there are multiple different measurments. Look at the following: (u)(v)(w)(a)(b) for the length of the lead and throat.
Look at (g)(f)(e)(d) for the diameters
Look at (c) for the taper

Nat Lambeth

Back