What am I doing wrong to crush the case like this?

VaniB

I'm trying to resize this 6.5x47 Lapua case to a 6mm neck with a 6x47L Forster full length die. Folks say it's supposed to be a one stroke deal and that they do it with ease.
With my finger, I applied a film of RCBS case pad lubricant to the neck and shoulder of the new case, ran the case up into the die and the photo shows the result. At $90 box, I sure don't want to do any more resizing like that. :(

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• crushed Lapua case.jpg
    crushed Lapua case.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 555
I'm trying to resize this 6.5x47 Lapua case to a 6mm neck with a 6x47L Forster full length die. Folks say it's supposed to be a one stroke deal and that they do it with ease.
With my finger, I applied a film of RCBS case pad lubricant to the neck and shoulder of the new case, ran the case up into the die and the photo shows the result. At $90 box, I sure don't want to do any more resizing like that. :(

What am I doing wrong?

My Forster FL die works perfectly for doing this - check the position of the expander "button" and make certain that it is not plugging/blocking the die-neck. Good shootin'! RG

Thanks gentlemen. Evidently, as you say, I must have had something wrong with the way the expander rod/ball was adjusted.

I tried the die once more with the rod removed on a scrap Remington 6mm case and it worked fine. So then I adjusted the rod properly, threaded it into the die, and tried the die again on a new Lapua case and it worked fine.

you might also want to try using Imperial Sizing Wax, I rub on my palms then roll brass between my hands 5-7 @ the time, also when sizing necks UP I mix a little STP in with the Imperial and Q-tip the inside of the case mouth

FWIW

I have necked down about 2500 of 6.5 x 47 to 6 x47 using the forster die - I use Hornady one shot spray. I put 50cases in a loading block, spray them from each side, and then size them. Easier to do for the volume I sized. Mostly a prairie dog shooter, is why I need so many cases.

I agree that Lapua is certainly proud of their brass.

Last edited:
Back