what about a 6.5 creedmoor??

skeetlee

I really like the hole idea behind the 6.5 creedmoor. I have had a tactical rifle chambered in this cal for quite some time now, and the accuracy is really great. I have an extra action and barrel in 6.5mm so i am thinking i will have a creedmoor built for 1000 yard shooting. How do you think the 6.5 creedmoor will do as a benchrest chambering. Is the brass going to be a handicap? Will it be to slow for 1000 yard comp shooting? I am interested in hearing what some of the more experienced shooters think about the 260rem or 6.5 creedmoor as a bench rest rifle?? Thanks Lee

One one has an opinion towards the 6.5 creedmoor? Is this not a good benchrest chambering? I know some Palma shooters shoot it, what about BR? thanks as always fellas!! Lee

IMO, the Creedmoor is fine for 600 yard matches with the 120-130 gr bullets, but for 1,000. Will it work? Yes. Best solution ballistically? No.

I prefer the 139 Scenar and 142 SMK at 2950 fps which the Creedmoor will not achieve, the case simply isn't large enough. Problem with a 140 gr class bullet at 2950 fps is that any cartridge capable of reaching that velocity is very hard on barrels given a 20 round string.

If you want to shoot at 1,000 you might consider the 6mm BR or one of the variants such as the BRX or Dasher. The 6 X 47 (based on the 6.5 X 47 Lapua) might do well too, low recoil, excellent ballistics. They would all fit in a short action nicely too.

The problem with 1,000 yards is everything is a trade off. Ballistics rule and things like the 6.5 X 284 have low recoil and achieve good ballistics at the expense of barrel life, while larger cailibers achieve the same or better ballistics and better barrel life (sometimes) at the expense of greater recoil.

Given the expense of an accurate build, a lot of research is nice. You might try the 6mmBR.com website, they have a fair number of good articles on long rnage shooting and cartridges for openners. Also links to toher sites such as F-class and highpower.

Back