Weber Railgun question

alinwa

oft dis'd member
There's a Weber rail in the classifieds, looks like a 1970's setup. Are these still competitive?

Anyone familiar with or own(ed) one?

al

I haven't seen one being shot at any of the Unlimited matches that I've shot. I looked at it in the classifieds and it has two barrels, a .222 and a 6x47 which would be the .222 Rem. Mag necked up to 6mm. I haven't seen either cartridge listed on the winning equipment list since the early '80's if then. It would be an interesting rifle to own because of the historical interest. If I was going to compete with one, I'd take a look at the Hasecuster rail that Kelbly's is selling in the classifieds. It has the old large diameter steel Grizzly action that was made before Kelbly's reintroduced the Grizzly as a 1.350" diameter stainless action.

al, This is one of Bill Crosby old rails I have a picture of the gun and him at the old Issaquah wa. range. I believe he set a record with set up back in the day. if I had the cash laying around I would snatch it up. Darrell

al, This is one of Bill Crosby old rails I have a picture of the gun and him at the old Issaquah wa. range. I believe he set a record with set up back in the day. if I had the cash laying around I would snatch it up. Darrell

The gun is currently down in Castle Rock (Del Bishop's old stomping ground) and the family speaks of "record or records" so you're no doubt right on the money :)

If it returns when pushed (or slammed) to battery (think about this a while) and can be shot fast (really fast) it's a good rail.

the gun did not have a auto return, he pushed to battery and he was fast. I think bill is still around I have a old # . al I'm in the tri-cities if you want to get more info

are yall talkin about that wood stocked cruiser with the camera shutter release? I dont see a weber railgun:confused:

the gun did not have a auto return, he pushed to battery and he was fast. I think bill is still around I have a old # . al I'm in the tri-cities if you want to get more info

Hey, do you shoot BR there? I've been out to Rattlesnake several times and have tried to find BR people in tri-cities to no avail. They useta' have HBR Matches and I've a great HBR rifle I'd like to shoot......I'm also set up for any other BR discipline and have free lodging in the area. I'd love to come shoot the tri-cities...

al

If you want to shoot a .222 sized case head then it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to shoot a PPC, I'd look at the one Kelblys is selling. I don't know what extractor a Weber has, but it could cause problems if you want to open it up for a PPC. Not that you have to shoot a PPC to be competitive, but it's certainly easier. Hasecuster rail guns are good rail guns and you see them quite often in the winners circle.

Weber info

I think that's the one....it seems to be set up to return.

I am very familiar with that rifle. It is a return to battery, but obviously not of the current rail gun style. It was originally Bill Crosbys, and sold the the late Bill Campbell in the 80's. Bill Crosby was dominate in UNL all thru the 70's with it. The receiver is 14" long and 2" in diameter. The barrel thread tenon is 1.2" in diameter and around 2" in length. Here is the kicker, it is a portless receiver with a 222 shell holder bolt face. If you are not into fast shooting it would work for you, or you could have a port or ports cut in it, and the bolt modified to a conventional extractor/ejector set up. Die hard Weber collectors will cringe at the thought of altering it, and it might not be so easy to do, as Al Weber did a pretty good job on the heat treating of his actions. I started BR shooting when Weber actions were "King" in UNL. There were many up here in the NW, and this particular action is the only portless one I can remember seeing. It may have more collector value than anything else, but could be resurrected into one hell of a rifle if someone want to take on the project.

FWIW

Steve Kostanich

thank you for chiming in Steve, I knew you would know more about this gun, I do remember Mr Campbell shooting it in later years, the pic I have with Crosby is right next to the pic of your rail {EASY SLIDER} remember the old days at Issaquah. Darrell,

Shell holder bolt face

Shooting fast with a shell holder bolt face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qtXpoObfM
That is not a shell holder bolt in that video. Notice he is throwing a round into the receiver and then inserting the bolt behind it, and not "clipping" it into the bolt face. What he is doing cannot be done with a true shell holder bolt. I'm guessing the port on that rifle is too short to allow the cases to be ejected thru it, thus he is using the technique shown.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

I seem to remember...

I had a 222 that wouldn't eject and had to remove the bolt. I guess that it was just as easy to pull the bolt once you got used to it rather than get the rifle fixed. All I had to do was screw out the bolt retaining screw and have at it. Actually, it worked fairly well...as it seems in the video. You can get fast at anything that doesn't change from time to time. As it turned out though, it was a distraction, and distractions aren't good when shooting competitively. You don't need to think about anything but the flags and pulling the trigger...which are the same when you think about it.

How the Weber in this discussion has shot

Check the Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club match results in the above post and go to the post showing the roster of Sniper King winners. Bill Crosby won the trophy 5 times in the 80's with that rifle. In addition, when we held the "White Cane " match in the late 80's ( scopes capped, no sighters, 200 yards) Bill fired the best 200 yard agg. fired that season This was at the old Puget Sound BR Club range in Issaquah, WA.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

.............. In addition, when we held the "White Cane " match in the late 80's ( scopes capped, no sighters, 200 yards) Bill fired the best 200 yard agg. fired that season This was at the old Puget Sound BR Club range in Issaquah, WA.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

So it does track....and repeat.....or did by the standards of the day?

al

Back