Weaver XR Series

I have been following this post with interest.

I have (3) of the 46x that were purchased between July - December 2014.

None of mine are exhibiting any problems, as a matter of fact I checked them very carefully yesterday and all are perfectly clear.

Got me to thinking........................As I store my rifles horizontally, rather than vertically, wonder if this cold have anything to do with the problem?

Any thoughts welcomed.

Shinny,
Nope, mine was stored horizontally & developed the spots just sitting in the off season. Mike Suhie's is still good & has been shot more than mine, so it's not just a matter of position or number of rounds.
Regards,
Ron

I just checked my scope this morning and it has the spots on the lens now. It was in perfect condition last fall when I shot it, and was stored in the box. I will have to email them and see what I need to do.

Oh well it was a nice scope, my only complaint is that it is kinda heavy for a LV gun.

Joe Hynes

Any fix yet from Weaver?

I want to buy one of these scopes, any positive news from Weaver about a fix to this problem on future scopes?

Reminds me of....

The problem with the old steel "T Series" scopes. If they were subjected to the least amount of heat (like warming in the sun) the O rings inside would fog up the lens interior. The fastest solution was to send them to Bill Ackerman who would clean them up for $60 and send them back. The O rings would only out gas once, so his fix was good for the life of the scope. I had a T6, T10, and a T16. The problem occurred in every one of them. If it wasn't for the absolute repeatability of the windage and elevation adjustments on these scopes, I think Weaver would have lost the market.

Virg

The problem with the old steel "T Series" scopes. If they were subjected to the least amount of heat (like warming in the sun) the O rings inside would fog up the lens interior. The fastest solution was to send them to Bill Ackerman who would clean them up for $60 and send them back. The O rings would only out gas once, so his fix was good for the life of the scope. I had a T6, T10, and a T16. The problem occurred in every one of them. If it wasn't for the absolute repeatability of the windage and elevation adjustments on these scopes, I think Weaver would have lost the market.

Virg

I have owned quite a few of the older Weaver T-Series scopes (all bought used). I have never experienced any issues with them. I still have a T-6 and a T-36. If I did not need side focus, those two would cover all of my target shooting needs.

By the way, I have now fired 100 rounds through my BAT rifle with the T-XR 36. No problems so far but I have to admit the Leupold BR 36 I sold to pay for the Weaver had better contrast, quite noticeable at 100 yards.

I have owned quite a few of the older Weaver T-Series scopes (all bought used). I have never experienced any issues with them. I still have a T-6 and a T-36. If I did not need side focus, those two would cover all of my target shooting needs.

By the way, I have now fired 100 rounds through my BAT rifle with the T-XR 36. No problems so far but I have to admit the Leupold BR 36 I sold to pay for the Weaver had better contrast, quite noticeable at 100 yards.

I had 6 Weaver t series 36X scopes. All had pretty good optics, but every single one of them eventually developed problems with the ability to hold point of impact. Weaver went through so many different owners 10 or so years ago that getting any warranty satisfaction was sometimes difficult. I tried Leup Competition scopes and had the same POI issues. I switched to a frozen competition in Brackney rings and have been satisfied since doing that. The other issue with the older Leup 36 1" tube scopes is they were 1/4 min clicks. Not an issue in group but a big one in score BR. Of course the ability to hold POI is tops. --Greg

I received my check for the purchase price, postage, & postage back to weaver. I compliment them on the service & I'm now deciding whether to order another XR 46X to replace the original one.
Regards,
Ron

I had 6 Weaver t series 36X scopes. All had pretty good optics, but every single one of them eventually developed problems with the ability to hold point of impact. Weaver went through so many different owners 10 or so years ago that getting any warranty satisfaction was sometimes difficult. I tried Leup Competition scopes and had the same POI issues. I switched to a frozen competition in Brackney rings and have been satisfied since doing that. The other issue with the older Leup 36 1" tube scopes is they were 1/4 min clicks. Not an issue in group but a big one in score BR. Of course the ability to hold POI is tops. --Greg

That is odd. I have owned four T-36s. All had 1/8 min. clicks and only one ever needed service. I contacted Weaver. The guy who answered the phone had me send it in at no cost to me. He even sent me a shipping label. That was about five years ago. All of my POI issues are due to failures on my part, not my equipment. I have to admit buying a SEB Neo rest has greatly improved my POI issues far more than I expected. That and finally learning proper front and rear rest setup techniques.

By the way, I am so pleased with my (silver) XR T-36 that I am trading one of my Nikon Side Focus 6-18X40mm Buckmasters + some cash for a second (black) one to mount to my Ruger No. 1V (222 Rem.) I had a T-36 on my previous Ruger No. 1V (220 Swift). With that setup, I achieved 1/2 MOA accuracy out to 200 yards (the longest range available to me where I live).

As I have said, I need side focus due to a life long disability. Other than that, I see no reason why anyone else would bother with side focus scopes.

Last edited:
Given that they have no fix for the problem, why on earth would you do that?

Because I really liked the scope, not all of the have the problem, weaver service was great, & when it went bad the made me completely whole.
Ron

RJM
The XR scope has been pulled from the market, all of the ones I have actually seen and looked through have failed. Lester Bruno, and Killoughs is no longer selling them! Just got off the phone less than an hour ago with a friend that had 4 fail, 2 returned to Lester and 2 heis waiting on payments for, he told me Lester has 16 he returned and is waiting for payment on. Until the problem is resolved your not going to be sucessful in your quest to buy another one that is defect free.

I have one of these scopes, but it appears to be ok. Is there a time limit to return these for a full refund?

Fred,
I don't know if Weaver has imposed a time limit, the only criteria is that the oil spots are present, they will buy it back! I don't know how much you have shot the rifle that your scope is on, but the more you shoot it the worse it gets. It is not a matter of if it will fail, its a matter of when it will fail!

they are not all bad. I know of two that are fine. This isn't to say they wont go bad? That possibility is a real one. So far though my friend is extremely pleased. Lee

A friend that ordered his XR46 after mine also has the oil dot problem, so back it goes!
savet06 has one that's still going at last report.

I may order an XR36, or go with a Leupold 46x. The 1/16" dot was nice, but my old eyes might be happier with a larger dot.
Regards,
Ron

Lee Martin,
This problem is isolated to the XR 46 only, the new side focus XR 24 &36 are not included. There may be a few people with XR 46 scopes that do not have the problem, but that will be a short lived situation, as this is a design flaw that exist in all of the XR 46. I really would like to see Weaver resolve this problem because its a nice clear scope with a decent price point. I will buy another Leupold as soon as I finish up my new rifle, you just can't beat the Leupold warranty, but I was willing to try another Weaver, and it did not work out for now.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't ever buy one myself. Just about every day of the week you can buy a nice used Leupold 45 comp for the same money as a new Weaver. Now, if weaver continues with this scope and they fix this issue, maybe after some time, the used market on one of these weavers will make them more appealing to me. Lee

Lee,
Thats what I'm going to settle on is the Leupold 45! Between Leupold, Nightforce, and March, these are being shot with the most sucess!

Back