Weatherby Vanguard 2

Worker

Ok Weatherby just came out with new version of they're Vanguard. I was thinking of one in 22-250, it comes with a 12" rifling twist. Is that fast enough to stabilized Hornady's 53gr V-Max ?

Worker, 1 in 12 is plenty of twist for any 53g or 55g bullet, that being said rifles seem to vary in their ability to shoot long bullets well, even though the rifleing twist may be the same. How does the new Vanguard vary from the old Vangard? Personally and without trying to be funny I liked the very old Vanguard best because it had s very tidy and good looking composite stock. Around 1995 presumably to cut costs they put a cheaper looking stock on them. Met a guy at our local rifle range who had the pre 1995 model and he let me try it out. He had just had the trigger worked by a gunsmith and that thing had the nicest trigger I have ever met.

Murphy this is an additional Vanguard they're producing. It has a green stock with some kind of palm swell inserts and in the forearm,oh and they say they did some thing to the trigger ? . The plain Jane Tupperware Black model makes me sick. But i'm hearing they all shoot well.

Thank you Worker, If you get one let us know how it shoots but I don't think that you will be disapointed as they have a good reputation for accuracy. I have shot two one in 223 and one in 243 and they both shot well.

Well I just had a rifle built for me. Rem 700 6x284 with a light long Brux standard palma bbl. Its" bad to the bone" Dang I ought to go out at shoot it now !

Yes these are Howa actions. FYI - the trigger is advertised as two stage - I got mine down to 2.25 lbs where it breaks. For the money I'm happy.

Last edited:
I've got a .22 BR with a 12" twist because I planned on shooting 55 and 60 gr bullets in club matches, but the rifle shot best with 52/53 gr bullets. It even does a respectable job with 40 gr Ballistic Tips, sub half MOA when I tried them. A .22-250 with a 12" twist barrel should shoot 55's fine, and I've had no problems stabilizing 52's in a 14" twist .223.

Not to hijack, but I just bought a Vanguard S2 in .223. I'd like to mount a Weaver 6-24x42 on it and would appreciate suggestions as to mounts and rings. Anyone use the Weatherby mounts for Vanguards? Thanks.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it -- still waiting for the Weatherby rings -- and the temp here droppped to 17 this morning with blowing snow. Will offer a report after it's up and running. Grateful for all the good advice this forum offers.

EGW makes one piece bases with 0 or 20 MOA slope for either short or long Howa/Vanguard actions. Retail price on their website is $69+; too bad, since before they entered into a contractual agreement with Legacy Sports (importers of the Howa rifles), they used to sell the same bases for $39. At any rate, the EGW bases work just fine - I've used them on a couple of 1500 actions.

Back