Was it the Lapua?

BenPerfected

I have been shooting a custom 10/22 for about 9 mo. During this time we have shot about 9000 rounds of which 8000 +/- were Lapua Midas+. After the gun, set-up and shooter got fairly dialed in, the gun could consistently average a 243 indoors on the USBR target. This seemed pretty decent for an automatic based on the info I could gather. Recently, the USBR scores were falling off to maybe the high 230's. I sent the barreled action back to be checked out. The comments I got back was that the 1st third of the barrel looked like a gravel road. They scrubbed the Lothar Walter barrel but it was worn and not fouling.
Their primary question was "what kind of ammo have you been shooting"? As the gun was shipped clean, the only residue left was around the extractor slot. Their comment the grit was was extremely sandy. They are not new to the game.
My question: Is Lapua above average in abrasiveness or is 9,000 rounds a fair life for a barrel? Both?
Ben

Grit is from primer = powdered glass. 9k rounds, way past time for new barrel if looking for that perfect target.

Grit is from primer = powdered glass. 9k rounds, way past time for new barrel if looking for that perfect target.

I respectfully disagree. A rimfire barrel should be shooting way past that. That would be less than 2 cases of ammo.
I'm not saying it can't happen but I think you should be seeing a good 20,000 rounds at least as the norm with proper care, unless damaged in some way.

Charlie

Theron,
I have been cleaning about after every brick. As you know, lot's of opinions. Based on wear on this barrel, I am planning to cut the cleaning cycle in half. To date, a brush was seldom used...just wet/dry patched until clean. Now my thought is to use a nylon brush at each cleaning. What cleaning process do you other high volume shooters use? I don't really want to turn this into a "best cleaing method" discussion, unless you think my past process is why this barrel needs to be replaced.
Charlie, to me perfect is what this game is about. I am excited to get a new barrel, I just don't want to kill the new one prematurely.
Ben

Ben,
New barrels are always exciting, unless you had that killer barrel that died. Then you want to do everything you can to make the next great barrel if you happen to get one, not prematurely wear out I think anyone shooting benchrest is looking at perfection.

I will tell you I know for a fact that the rifle that won the ARA A-line this year I will bet you had well over 20,000 rounds thru it maybe double that. Brian Brandts Turbo he has won the ARA nationals and I believe 3 PSL events with has well over 20,000 rounds thru it...I'm sure most of his competetors WISH he would rebarrel it.

My point is JUST because your barrel had 9000 rounds thru it does not mean in any way it is automatically shot or that the accuracy SHOULD have fallen off. I would expect it to be in its prime.

I will tell you if you are shooting benchrest and want "perfection" I'd sure be cleaning a hell of a lot more. You will find that most folks are cleaning after each target, which is normally almost a box of ammo including heaters and sighters. Maybe at most after 4 or 6 targets which I would say is rare.

Good luck on your new barrel, I hope it is a shooter.
Charlie

Charlie,
Thanks for your feedback. It appears I was way off on how often most were cleaning their barrels. It sounds like a 1-2 box cleaning cycle will likely provide more barrel life. Starting over on the ammo selection and tuner dial-in process is something I would prefer to not do often. I am hopeful that the new barrel will like the two cases of Lapua I already have!
Ben

I think we need to define cleaning. It means different things to different folks.

To me, cleaning is a wet patch and maybe 5 or 6 dry patches after ever card....about 50 shots and do this before the barrel cools off. I clean the chamber and leade about once a brick with Iosso and a nylon brush that never goes any further than the beginning of the rifling. I will push a wet bronze brush through the barrel maybe once or twice a case of 5000. I let the rifle tell me when to do this. Some guys do the brush sequence after every card. I never put a barrel length cleaning rod in a rifle without a bore guide, nor do any of the BR shooters I know. If you don't have one get a bore guide for your action and use it only with a really good rod designed for the rifle. Ivy rods are excellent. bob

Midway used to show one for .920 barrels that fit snuggly over the muzzle. It looked like a big delrin cylinder with a brass insert.

Don: The receiver is the bore guide if you drill the hole in the back of the receiver in the correct place. Me, I use a string trimmer pull through on rifles I cannot get clear access to the breech. bob

Bob,
This 10/22 receiver will not accommodate the rod hole in the rear and the mussel mounted bore guide is out because of the tuner. My thought is to clean with the Otis cable pull system using a bore guide we will make to fit inside the von Ahrens tuner "tube". This way the mussel/crown should be protected on the cable exit. Any better cleaning ideas besides giving up on my 10/22?
Ben

Hi Ben,

For what it's worth I'll throw my two bob's worth in support of several comments made.

With my two rifles - I've discovered that (at least for benchrest shooting) to maintain acccuracy - we clean after every detail. That means one oiled patch (i.e. we don't use a solvent) and a couple of dry patches (we actually use donuts as patches can leave lint and threads) to remove the unburnt powder / primer grit. We push the rod through and remove the top patch (we use two at a time) and thus never draw the dirt back throught the bore. The bore on my 'older' rifle, after now some 6,000 rounds through it - looks pristine.

I would also suggest that the type of cleaning rod used is important as is the suggested bore guide mandatory. We use a graphite rod with a brass tip - put simply -(with the boreguide) to prevent scratching the bore. Our rifles are expensive and if we want the best out of them, we should treat them with the respect they deserve and they in return, will give excellent long and accurate life.

Just my opinion mate.

Cheers

Cary

I to shoot a 10/22 in benchrest also. I clean with a Patchworm setup. It is superior to the Otis system. The bonded end has a very good fit for the chamber, I use 1 1/4" patchs 2 dry and 2 with Kroil then a dry patch if i'm in a match. If the gun is going to be put up then a couple of patches of EXXOX. http://20-20.8m.com/patchworm.html
Support the line so that it never touches the crown when polling the patches through.

First, a Ruger 10/22 CAN be drilled to allow a cleaning rod to be used from the rear of the action. I know this as I have the Brownell tool to do it and have done at least 10 Rugers with it with no problems either doing it, cleaning using the hole or durability of the receiver after the drilling.

Second, I clean after every trip to the range. I use Bore Tech Rim fire blend. You do not need a coper solvent with a 22 RF. I them patch out with clean patches followed by a patch wetted with Butch's Gun Oil. I find that it takes one (1) round usually to get the gun to start grouping again as the bullet lube moves down the clean barrel.

If my memory is correct, I seem to remember that the National Guard Team using Eley Tennex and Anchutz Super Match rifles was getting approximately 1 million rounds through a barrel before it would be changed. Again, if memory serves me, Eley ammo at the time had ground glass as the friction component of the the priming compound and was thought to be the culprit causing the barrel wear. They cleaned only once or twice a year as per the Anchutz manual's instructions and then only with oiled patches.

George

Good chance your crown is worn, esp. since cleaning from the muzzle. Have good smith cut off a quarter inch and recrown, then go shoot in peace.

Cary..... are you refering to VFG pellets?

Bruce, do you use the .20 or the .22?

Thanks, Douglas

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. To sum it up....it isn't the ammo, but do clean more often and clean carefully!
Ben

Hi Doug,

Not sure that I understand the question re using "VFG pellets" - I am purely rimfire and did mention in my post - removing unburnt powder/primer grit which is indicative.

Hope that answers your query

Cary

Cary...........you said you used "donuts" instead of patches, what do you mean by donut? VFG pellets are little felt round cylinders with a hole in the center wihich you but on the end of a brass adapter on the rod; they are sized by caliper. if you google VFG pellets you'll see a photo of them, sold by Brownells. Thanks, Douglas

Back