want to build a 6ppc that will shoot a 95 grain bib to 300 yds

Lew
Im have been thinking along the same lines now for quite some time. im thinking a 6ppc improved would be the ticket for those 90gr bullets. I think its about time to have a reamer made.
I am also going to have a reamer made in 22ppc 100 short with 40 degree shoulders. Ill stick with the 52gr bullets there though. Only down side is that I will have to have a custom FL sizer die made for each. That's simple enough though. Lee

I'd go with something based on Grendel brass if you're going to improve the ppc. Life is just easier that way. Dies and good brass are available without all the work of forming something that is essentially the same. I've thought about doing exactly this, including being set up for 95 BIB bullets. I despise rebating rims and my drop port Viper is a dedicated ppc bolt face. Opening one is not a good option with the B prefix actions.

Lee - Kinda sounds like a Grendel necked down to 6mm(6 Major?). Looking at a few drawing, it looks like you could run your PPC reamer in about 0.070" deep, neck down Grendel brass and fireform.

Jerry

You could do this with some of the tighter chamber ppc reamers out there. If you use a typical ppc reamer, the butt end will get a tad large, working the brass more than needed without using a custom die. The Grendel brass and dies just make sense to me.

Tim, I don't believe that inherent accuracy is less than the BR. Especially if the ppc is the standard. There's simply not enough difference to make a big difference, but the Grendel is closer the the ppc than is the BR. We're splitting hairs. Do it before knocking it. The case works great. I don't know why more people don't play with it. I've never seen a down side to using the Grendel as a platform, yet. I do think it's under utilized, though. I guess the best explanation is that so many feel the ppc to be the end all, be all accuracy cartridge...and that even something .070 longer, but otherwise identical, can't work. That's my perception anyway.

I agree with mike. I had an old Ed shilen barrel blank that I chambered in 6br with the intent of using 66gr 6mm bullets. Fowler bullets to be exact. This Barrel I chambered will shoot with any ppc I own. More people than not will tell you that a 6BR cant shoot with a ppc day in and day out. Well I am just not so sure. this particular shilen I have sure will.
Mike, you know im not sure why but I just never think about the Grendel case. I will now.

My first project will be a short 22 of some type. I may be wasting a lot of money and time, but there is something about the 40 degree shoulder that I cant shake.
I was playing with my 6 dasher a few weeks back with a set of barrowed dies that I bummed from a good friend of mine. When I got the dies home I noticed he didn't have a FL sizer die. Just a neck die and a body die. I asked my friend why no FL sizer die. his reply was that you really don't need to use one very often, and that when he does feel the need he uses his body die. I was a little unsure about that statement, but after shooting the brass in that dasher barrel of mine, I realized he was right. I think it was around shot 7 that I finally felt like I needed to push the shoulder back a bit.
Long story short, I cant help but wonder if the reason I didn't need to push the shoulder back very often was because of the 40degree shoulder? I think maybe that is a lot of the reason??
I like to play, so I really think a .110 short 22ppc with 40 degree shoulders will be a real shooter. The next step will be a die. I haven't quite figured out what steps to take there yet. Lee

I agree with mike. I had an old Ed shilen barrel blank that I chambered in 6br with the intent of using 66gr 6mm bullets. Fowler bullets to be exact. This Barrel I chambered will shoot with any ppc I own. More people than not will tell you that a 6BR cant shoot with a ppc day in and day out. Well I am just not so sure. this particular shilen I have sure will.
Mike, you know im not sure why but I just never think about the Grendel case. I will now.

My first project will be a short 22 of some type. I may be wasting a lot of money and time, but there is something about the 40 degree shoulder that I cant shake.
I was playing with my 6 dasher a few weeks back with a set of barrowed dies that I bummed from a good friend of mine. When I got the dies home I noticed he didn't have a FL sizer die. Just a neck die and a body die. I asked my friend why no FL sizer die. his reply was that you really don't need to use one very often, and that when he does feel the need he uses his body die. I was a little unsure about that statement, but after shooting the brass in that dasher barrel of mine, I realized he was right. I think it was around shot 7 that I finally felt like I needed to push the shoulder back a bit.
Long story short, I cant help but wonder if the reason I didn't need to push the shoulder back very often was because of the 40degree shoulder? I think maybe that is a lot of the reason??
I like to play, so I really think a .110 short 22ppc with 40 degree shoulders will be a real shooter. The next step will be a die. I haven't quite figured out what steps to take there yet. Lee

Lee, a very good die option: send a reamer print to Forester, and have them make a full-length die with the neck honed to your desired diameter (no bushings required - well probably not:p). If the reamer matches the print, the Forster die will put a smile on your face - and for not much $. I believe the last few Forster did for me have cost about $65.00 each. Oh, and it didn't take long - in BR time - to get them! :eek::) RG

Kinda sounds like a Grendel necked down to 6mm(6 Major? http://6mmar.com/ http://6mmar.com/6mm_AR_Loading_Info.html Randy

6 SRB, 6 Dune, 6 RAT, 6 FATRAT, yadda.... It's a great idea for someone with a PPC boltface.

With Randy's 95, I use a standard 6 BR, 10 twist, with ~ 30.7 grains of Varget. You really need 104 thou freebore.

If your 6 BR reamer has less, say 85 thou, try the Berger 90 BT. I shoot it with 30.8 gr of Varget or 30.5 gr of 8208XBR. 10-15 thou into the lands.

I think I'll do a 6 dasher and be done with it.
Thanks for the insight. It looks like a lot of people have stepped up to the plate and have helped others through this thread.
Thanks Again

Sticking strictly with PPC brass see the picture below;

1-Left, 6-40 Tyger, 40 degree shoulder at the original shoulder/body intersection.

2-Center, original PPC and its 30 degree shoulder.

3-Right 6-40 DunieD, 40 degree shoulder 0.035" forward of the original PPC neck/shoulder. This cartridge holds 3.5 grains powder more than an original PPC. This cartridge won a
2nd, a 3rd, a 4th and a 5th in the IBS Nationals at Oak Ridge shooting the 90 grain Berger.

Of the three, the 6-40 Tyger is the most accurate with 65-68 grain bullets. Both the 6-40's have 0.266 necks.

Hugh Henriksen has drawings of the DunieD and Tyger.

15z330k.jpg

Back