Walnet Stock blanks

robertb

Walnut Stock blanks

A buddy has 11 stock blanks like the one in the attachments and was wondering what they would be worth. He cut a tree down and this was the results. Would would a blank like this be worth as I have no idea.

Attachments

• photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 582
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
A buddy has 11 stock blanks like the one in the attachments and was wondering what they would be worth. He cut a tree down and this was the results. Would would a blank like this be worth as I have no idea.

How long ago and how were they dried?

al

I'd be really concerned about the wood checking and end cracking after being cut up into blanks like this right after felling the tree.
It's too late now, but if there is a next time, it might be better to cut the tree into slabs, air dry, and then cut them into blanks.
I worked for a gunsmith that had a whole barn full (well, maybe not a WHOLE barn, but there were about 6 rows stacked and stickered about 8 feet high,) of 4 inch thick black walnut slabs that we cut up into blanks, and IIRC, he let them air dry for a year per inch of thickness, then after cutting into rough blanks, let them sit another year before making stocks out of them.

Other folks' experiences may differ, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these blanks worth? He wants to sell them and I told him I would check into it.

Honestly, at this point, nothing.

Get them waxed ASAP and if they're still whole in a year then they may begin to be worth something.

Right now they're firewood.

In the two photos, the grain is pretty "wonky" for lack of a better term, I'd be interested to see some more photos. Wood is "alive" for quite some time, like in a good crotch figured blank, after the blank is cut, the wood can move around because the stress is removed, ala the weight of that big limb being removed next to the crotch.
We would use a power planer on the slab to clean it up, then take a clear oversize Plexiglass template, move it around on the slab so we got good orientation, (nice curve of the grain down through the wrist, etc.) draw around the template with a lumber crayon, then rough saw out the blank with a bandsaw.
Checking with a moisture meter is a good idea too, IIRC, you can air dry down to about 12% then bring inside and dry down to about 6-8% before inleting and shaping.
Still and all, you are looking at a few years of drying in order to make a good blank...

blanks

If you can get them dried without coming apart they will have value to someone. Check e-bay for 'walnut gun blanks' and you will begin to get an idea what some are willing to pay for a blank. The blanks that are highly figured, properly dried, and from a reputable dealer can be quite pricey.

When I was working in a cabinet shop, the standard was a minumum of one year of drying per inch of thickness. Slow drying made for better wood.

Gun stock grain considerations

According to the photos, the grain in the blanks is super fancy throughout the entire length of the blank. From my experience they would make poor hunting rifle stocks that require straight grain in the forearm section. They would however make excellent shotgun stocks. Fancy exhibition grade wood requires years of seasoning because of its tendency to move. The processing of a tree for stocks is an art that insures the greatest yield in value. A top grade blank with proper layout and seasoning can bring 300 to 700 dollars. Good wood today is getting to be a rare commodity, hence the advent of plastic stocks. There is no substitute for a beautiful wood stock.

Wish you well,
Ted

My concern would be the way the stock is laid out. From the picture there appears to be the kind of figure in the forend that should be in butt. Once this piece of wood stabilizes there is no way to know which way it will move.

According to the photos, the grain in the blanks is super fancy throughout the entire length of the blank. From my experience they would make poor hunting rifle stocks that require straight grain in the forearm section. They would however make excellent shotgun stocks. Fancy exhibition grade wood requires years of seasoning because of its tendency to move. The processing of a tree for stocks is an art that insures the greatest yield in value. A top grade blank with proper layout and seasoning can bring 300 to 700 dollars. Good wood today is getting to be a rare commodity, hence the advent of plastic stocks. There is no substitute for a beautiful wood stock.

Wish you well,
Ted

I disagree re "super fancy," the figure present is disparately spaced and non-uniform with very little contrast. Darks are largely absent with no black to speak of. These are mid-grade at best.

I'm not picking on them, just not getting the guy's hopes up inappropriately

al

I disagree re "super fancy," the figure present is disparately spaced and non-uniform with very little contrast. Darks are largely absent with no black to speak of. These are mid-grade at best.

I'm not picking on them, just not getting the guy's hopes up inappropriately

al

I agree, and you worded it well. My "wonky," didn't describe it too well, did it???...

Walnut value

suggest you google the subject..........some experts claim walnut wood and walnut trees to be very valuable.

Black walnut logs bring premium prices, and have since the 1700s, with single trees bringing up to $20,000. Bruce Thompson, author of “Black Walnut For Profit,” estimates a mature stand of black walnut trees can bring about $100,000 per acre in timber value alone. The fine, straight-grained

Back